Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Series: Lunar Chronicles #2
Publisher: Puffin (Penguin UK)
First published: February 7th, 2013
Source: Received from UK publisher
Format: Paperback
Pages: 424
Goodreads Summary:
This is not the fairytale you remember.

But it’s one you won’t forget.

Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. The police have closed her case. The only person Scarlet can turn to is Wolf, a street fighter she does not trust, but they are drawn to each other.

Meanwhile, in New Beijing, Cinder will become the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive – when she breaks out of prison to stay one step ahead of vicious Queen Levana.

As Scarlet and Wolf expose one mystery, they encounter Cinder and a new one unravels. Together they must challenge the evil queen, who will stop at nothing to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner . . .
The following review might include spoilers for the first book.
Previos review(s): Cinder (#1)

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
After loving the first book, I couldn't wait for its sequel. And luckily my expectations were met. With lots of action and a wonderful world-builing, I'd recommend this series to everyone who is looking for something different and unique on the Young Adult market.

More detailed:

... the plot:
Still craving to know more about the Lunar Chronicles' mysteries after having read the first book, I was very excited to finally pick up Scarlet. To be honest, I was slightly scared as this seemed to be more like a companion novel since it introduces new narrators; but we still get to experience the world from Cinder and Kai's perspective a couple of times. 

The things that are happening in this futuristic world are getting worse with almost every chapter and make it hard to put down this book. I was captivated by both, Cinder and Scarlet's stories and soon found myself crossing my fingers for both of them. The only thing that annoyed me sometimes was the change of perspective after chapters that had me dying to find out more - but in the end that's the charme of Scarlet and makes it even harder to put down.

... the characters:
Along with Kai and Cinder we get to meet some old characters again. Most of them aren't exactly the people I missed, but considering they play a crucial part in the story I didn't expect anything else. I'm still hoping for this lovely couple to get their happy ending, but certain parts during Scarlet almost make me doubt that this could be possible.

Scarlet and Wolf are the two new narrators that are introduced, though we get to see more from Scarlet's point of view. Their love story is both, different and similar to Kai and Cinder's and already includes quite a few heart-breaking moments. Both of them are very likable characters, even though they didn't win me over as much as Kai and Cinder did. Of course we get to meet quite a few other new characters, too, who mostly play a smaller part. I love this variety of characters as it continues to surprise me.

... everything:
All in all, Scarlet is a wonderful second installment in this amazing series. These books definitely don't focus solely on romance, but incorporate many different elements to weave a story of heart-break and mysteries. Sometimes I honestly hoped for some more romantic moments, but I'm willing to wait - or rather hope - for these to make me happy in the third installment.




Have you read this series yet? What did you think about them so far?
If you haven't read any of the books yet, do you want to read them?

Carina

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed Scarlet! I loved all the new characters---this series definitely keeps its spot as a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Scarlet so freaking much! I was excited to see Scarlet and Wolf as new main characters. The only thing I missed was Kai and Cinder... it was so sad they were apart for the whole book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you loved this book sweetie :) Sigh, it was just amazing. <3 I adore Cinder and Kai. They BETTER have a happy ending.. sniffs. And I just love Scarlet and Wolf too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED Scarlet. I thought it was a wonderful addition to the series, and I truly think Marissa is genius when it comes to storytelling :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!