Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Speak (Penguin)
First published: May 27th, 2002
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 345
Goodreads Summary:
When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Craving more contemporary stories, I decided to finally pick up one of Sarah Dessen's books that were so often recommended to me. And while I definitely enjoyed This Lullaby, I felt as though all the hype surrounding her novels had raised my expectations a bit too much.

More detailed:

... the plot:
As I don't read contemporaries too often, I always find the normalcy very refreshing. Without any paranormal secrets to reveal, I know that many people can be bored by realistic fiction, but This Lullaby has enough twists, turns and heart-breaking moments to keep me interested. And even though its narration still concentrates heavily on Remy's emotions, I was never bored.

... the characters:
I couldn't help myself but feel sorry for poor Remy who just cannot make herself believe in true love because of her mother's constantly repeated pattern of wedding and divorce. Therefore she ends up being slightly cynic, but that makes her a very entertaining first person narrator. Her attitude toward relationships can be a little bit tiring though. While she realizes that the relationship with Dexter is different than what she usually prefers, I would have wished for her to change more thoroughly toward the end.

On the other hand, Dexter turned out to be a very swoon-worthy love interest whom I was very happy to meet. While he's not the type of guy Remy usually falls for, I knew from the beginning that I'd love meeting a guy like him, because he never fails to make you smile and feel good. The secondary characters of This Lullaby are very diverse and entertaining, even though I had a hard time connecting to some of them - especially Remy's mother.

... everything:
While not completely meeting my expectations for This Lullaby, it still was a very enjoyable read that makes me want to read more of Sarah Dessen's books. It was a cute but still slightly heart-breaking contemporary read that could be the perfect beach read for the upcoming summer, if you're looking for a feisty main character and a love story that is anything but conventional.



Have you read any of Sarah Dessen's books? If yes, which one would you recommend me to read next?
Carina

11 comments:

  1. This is one of the two Dessen books I have not read! It's sitting on my shelf. Just need to pick it up and read it.

    Great review! Can't wait to meet Remy and Dexter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a couple of Sarah Dessen books now (Lock & Key and Just Listen), I always enjoy them but I never quite got the hype. Just Listen was by far my favourite of the two I've read. I like the sound of Remy as a narrator and main character in This Lullaby - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Lullaby is probably my favorite book from her. I don't know if it's because it was the first book I read from her and I just fell in love or because its been a really long time since I've read it. But in my mind when I think of Sarah Dessen, I think of this book. Just Listen, Lock & Key, and What Happened to Goodbye are also some very good books from her. Great review!
    World of Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love Sarah Dessen! This is actually one of my favorites for her, though I will always tell everyone that The Truth About Forever is the best one, in my opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of Sarah Dessen, but have heard a lot of great things. I have a couple on my wishlist though.

    Great review.
    Katie ~ Turner’s Antics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for reading your first Sarah Dessen book! To tell you the truth, I can't remember if I've read this one before. :P But I'm glad you liked it! I agree with you, Dessen's books have been hyped up a lot, but I think they are just great chick-lit reads with a little more meaning. Dexter sounds like an adorable love interest! I love the simplicity of contemporary reads, too. Lovely review, Carina! I hope your next Dessen read is a 5 star :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dexter was definitely swoon worthy! This wasn't my favorite of Sarah Dessen's books, so I can't wait for you to read your next book by her! She's got some incredible books... and then some that aren't as incredible as they seemed to be!

    Great review. (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been way too long since I read this. I should reread it eventually. Just Listen is also a good one. I think the difficulty for me reading this now is my cat's name is remi. lol it might distract me, thinking of a cat. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to read this FOREVER! I think I've had it on my shelf for a good few years now but I know what you mean about hype. I've read a few books lately that didn't live up to my expectations but least you still enjoyed it xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the first Sarah Dessen novels I read was Dreamland and I absolutely loved it! The other one I read was Keeping the Moon. The Main character in Keeping the Moon is slightly similar to Remy, in regards to sarcasm and cynicism. I thoroughly enjoyed the three books of Sarah Dessen that I have read and I hope to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book definitely kept me turning the pages and I look forward to reading more from Sarah Dessen soon!

    Mariz
    Click here for Ipe Decking information

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!