Friday, January 11, 2013

Review: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux #3
Publisher: Entangled Teen
First published: December 3rd, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: eBook (Kindle)
Pages: n/a
Goodreads Summary:
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.
I'd recommend Opal to an older audience (16+) due to sexual content and violence.
This review might include spoilers for the first two books of this series.
Review(s): Obsidian (#1) | Onyx (#2)

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Believing Opal to be the last installment of this wonderful series, I expected to get closure. You can imagine how surprised I was to realize that there are still more sequels to come, which makes me very happy as this is a series I cannot get enough of.

More detailed:

... the plot and the narration:
The Lux series has never been boring, but with every new installment the plot's getting more and more interesting. Sadly I read Opal during a very busy time, which forced me to put it down again and again, but under different circumstances this would have been a book that's almost impossible to stop reading. Sadly this lack of time to read made me enjoy it a little bit less than I probably would have, so I'm definitely planning to re-read it closer to the fourth book's release date.

Other than that, I'm still incredibly happy with Jennifer L. Armentrout's style of writing - especially Kat's witty narration and the non-stop excitement. But despite the action in Opal, I can already tell you that I'm expecting the next book to be even more nerve-wracking. And once you've read that cliffhanger ending that both broke my heart and made my secret cliffhanger-loving part of my heart smile, you'll know what I mean.

... the characters:
Of course I cannot not mention Daemon, who's probably one of the main reasons why this series is so popular. Even though he's probably always been a sweet guy ever since the first book, he only truly starts to show this now and I love getting to know new sides of him. And considering Kat's reactions to him, I'm not the only one who likes the more open and slightly romantic side of Daemon.

Character-wise we also get to encounter some surprises. Some of those are slightly heart-breaking and will make you want to erase the words of the book and rewrite them, others will make you want to continue reading as fast as possible just to find out whether those people will continue to develop so positively.

... everything:
All in all, I really liked the third book of the Lux series and after that mean cliffhanger ending I cannot wait for the fourth installment. I'm not sure whether to recommend you to wait to read this until the release of the fourth book has come closer, because I'm pretty sure that Jennifer L. Armentrout will torture us again with a mean ending - and you'd just miss some very awesome Daemon-time. If you haven't even started reading this series, I don't even know why you're wasting precious time reading this review - grab a copy of Obsidian and start reading now.



Do you love this series as much as I do? If you haven't read it yet, do you plan to do so soon?
Carina

3 comments:

  1. That ending right?! I was pretty much going, "WHOA" when I saw that there were no more pages to turn. I'm super excited to see where JLA takes us next with this series. Great review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gah. still can't gather up the nerve to read this book. JLA and her cliff hangers! bah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ayurvedic drugs for fatty liver ayurvedic drugs for fatty
    liver ayurvedic drugs for fatty liver

    Check out my weblog: fatty liver treatment ayurvedic

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!