Sunday, December 2, 2012

Review: Silver by Talia Vance

Silver by Talia Vance
Series: Bandia #1
Publisher: Flux
First published: September 8th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 374
Goodreads Summary:
Brianna has always felt invisible. People stare right past her, including the one boy she can't resist, Blake Williams. But everything changes at a house party where Brianna's charm bracelet slips off and time stands still. In that one frozen, silver moment, Blake not only sees her, he recognizes something deep inside her she's been hiding even from herself.

Discovering she is descended from Danu, the legendary Bandia of Celtic myth, Brianna finds herself questioning the truth of who she is. And when she accidentally binds her soul to Blake, their mutual attraction becomes undeniable.

But Blake has his own secret, one that could prove deadly for them both.

Bound together by forbidden magic, Brianna and Blake find themselves at the heart of an ancient feud that threatens to destroy their lives and their love.
I'd recommend Silver to an older audience (16+) due to sexual content and violence.

My Rating: 3.0 / 5

First thoughts:
With fascinating mythology but characters that I didn't really like that much, Silver was an enjoyable read for me, but won't end up on any of my favorite lists for this year.

More detailed:

... the plot and the narration:
Based on Celtic mythology, Silver has unique paranormal elements that make it an interesting read. It doesn't take long for the actual plot to begin and I'm still happy about the twists and turns Talia Vance weaved into her story. Nonetheless I was sometimes confused by explanations about the paranormal aspects and would have wished for more structured explanations that would have helped me understand the nature of those characters more.

... the characters:
My main problem with Silver is my lack of connection to the characters and the love story. While I definitely enjoy the plot and mythology used as explained above, I just didn't feel the connection between Brianna and Blake even though the concept of a forbidden love story usually is highly addicting for me. For me, these two felt forced together - I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be an effect of their "bond", but I didn't like it.

Sadly I also didn't really feel connected to Brianna as the narrator and protagonist of Silver. I don't mind sexual content in YA books I read, but I don't like a main character who just goes off with the first guy who seems to notice her. Apart from that, I also didn't understand her reactions to finding out more about her heritage and abilities. But that's actually something I didn't like about every character - if they found out about something that they naturally weren't supposed to know, they didn't come close to freaking out and didn't even question the things they were told.

... everything:
All in all, I definitely enjoyed Silver even though I didn't fall in love with it. I need to feel connected to a book's characters for the story to have any real impact on me, and sadly this wasn't the case with this book. But if you're looking for a book with intriguing and unique mythological elements, then I think you'll definitely like this one.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012
YA Mythology Challenge 2012


Are you a fan of mythology in YA books? If yes, do you think about reading Silver? Or have you already read it and, if yes, what did you think about it?

5 comments:

  1. I've read similar reviews about this book so I'm not really jumping the gun to buy it. Sorry it didn't work out so well for you, Carina.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one! I'm sorry you didn't like the characters very much :/ I'm realllllllly looking forward to the next one though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was pretty popular in the blogosphere during August, and I was interested in it, but never really heard anything good or bad about it. I'm glad I came across your review! The Celtic mythology seems pretty cool, if it doesn't get confusing. I'm kind of a forbidden-love-story addict too, and if Brianna and Blake's romance didn't really work... well I don't think I'll be picking this one up! :/ Great review though, and thanks for telling your honest opinions, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I think of it. I haven't read many reviews about this book, despite my excitement to read it. I'm sorry to hear you couldn't connect with the characters and their attraction to each other. Their reactions doesn't sound very realistic, but I like the sound of the mythology and the paranormal elements.. So I might check it out in the library :) Great review.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to read this but great review. It sounds really interesting despite the problems. =)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!