Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill
Publisher: Delacorte Books FYR (Random House)
First published: November 13th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 304
Goodreads Summary:
Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.

It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").

But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.

Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
After being slightly scared that my high expectations for Meant to Be will only lead to disappointment, I realized that this contemporary YA is just as awesome as its summary wants to make us believe. It's an incredibly cute and heart-warming story with characters that will slowly make their way into your heart and will definitely stay there. If you're looking for a great addition to your contemporary collection, be sure to take a closer look at this one.

More detailed:
After I read about comparisons of Meant to Be with my absolute favorite contemporary YA Anna and the French Kiss, I knew that I had to read it. But thanks to that comparison and the über-cute summary, my expectations were pretty high and I'm very happy to announce that they were completely met. This definitely is the perfect read for everyone who is looking for a cute distraction from their own everyday lives.

Julia, Meant to Be's main character is a slightly obsessive, crazy but oh-so-loveable narrator who you will definitely fall in love with. Like many other Young Adult main characters she is slightly unpopular but knows just how to live with this situation. She is looking for the perfect Hollywood-kind-of love with the guy who is meant to be with her. Of course she has an idea who that perfect guy might be, but the girl who usually tries to plan everything has to realize that some things just don't happen like you want.

Therefore the love story is wonderfully entertaining. I soon knew which guy to root for and crossed my fingers for him to not mess things up with Julia. This story is full of tiny (and not-so-tiny) misunderstandings that made me laugh and made me cringe and overall made it almost impossible for me to put this cute read down. Of course there are also some interesting secondary characters that we get to meet, but thanks to its shortness Meant to Be mainly concentrates on the most important characters and doesn't overwhelm us with unnecessary information.

All in all, Meant to Be is a book to fall in love with and to pick up whenever you need to remind yourself that cuteness and true love are still out there in the world. With a slightly nerdy but very refreshing main character, lots of chaotic misunderstandings and a heart-warming love story it will definitely appeal to many readers and end up on quite a few favorite lists.

Challenge(s):
 Debut Author Challenge 2012
YA Contemporary Challenge 2012


Do you love cute contemporary novels like Meant to Be or Anna and the French Kiss as much as I do? And if you haven't read it yet, do you plan to read Meant to Be as well? What do you expect from it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

9 comments:

  1. EEP! I LOVED Anna and the French Kiss, so I am definitely looking forward to reading Meant to Be. The fact that it's set in LONDON just totally makes me want to have it already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this before, but I am going to read it now! I LOVED everything about Anna and the French Kiss. Definitely going to be buying this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Julia and her adventures too.
    Thanks for review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this yet but I really, really want to! Plus, comparisons to Anna and the French Kiss (also a favourite of mine!)? Yes please! This piece of news makes me even more excited. I've only read glowing reviews of this one so I hope I end up loving it as much as you and others bloggers have! Also: London - talk about a great setting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my radar for a while and I hope I get chance to read it at some point. Contemporary is my favourite (sub?) genre of YA, and I'm a big fan of Anna and the French Kiss, so I might have to move this up my TBR list a little after reading this review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I didn't know this was being compared to Anna! I loved that one too so now I'm even more intrigued with this one. I have read a lot of great reviews on it, too! Julia sounds like my type of MC! I love crazy MCs! >.< Great review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo, looks like you're agreeing with the rest of the book community about this one! This one sounds absolutely adorable and just for me! Lovely review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww. Great review :D Really want to read this book. <3 It seems amazing :) Seems really sweet too ;) Glad you loved it :D Heh. I actually hated Anna so so so much :p It was just not a book for me at all. But I loved Pushing the Limits and Speechless :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review! I've been thinking about picking this one to read next and after reading your review I may just have to buy it! I'm certainly looking for a cute novel to pass the time and Meant to Be sounds to be the perfect match :). Furthermore I have to pick Anna and the French Kiss too! I read about it EVERYWHERE! I'm feeling a bit left out now haha!

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!