Friday, November 2, 2012

Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
First published: October 23rd, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 379
Goodreads Summary:
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
As another wonderful addition to one of my favorite series, The Lost Prince turned out to be a very fast and entertaining read that left me craving more. With Julie's amazing style of writing and a new twist in the Nevernever this start of the spin-off series will definitely not disappoint fans of the original series.

More detailed:
Usually I'm a bit wary of spin-offs as they often cannot live up to one's expectations after having read the original series. But considering the fact that I have fallen in love with every single one of Julie's stories, I was actually looking forward to reading The Lost Prince and luckily I wasn't disappointed.

The story is told from Meghan's not-so-little-anymore brother Ethan who tries to live his life while knowing and seeing the hidden faerie world all around him. Of course that complicates his life on more than one occasion, until he is - just like his sister in The Iron King - pulled into the Nevernever and has to deal with many new problems.

I was actually quite surprised by the new plot line Julie came up with, because until I started The Lost Prince I was a bit skeptical as to whether this story could be actually something new. Luckily - or not - new dangers are slowly invading the world of Faery and make sure that Ethan has his own mission in the Nevernever.

Of course we get to meet some old favorite characters again that made me squeal a tiny bit whenever they appeared. But there are also a couple new characters that will definitely make the story even more interesting and whose motives and definite traits have not been revealed completely yet. I'm also very curious about how the love story will develop, because so far it has the potential to be a quite heartbreaking one.

All in all, I recommend you to pick up The Lost Prince if you've already read and loved the first four books of the Iron Fey series. While there are some explanations about what happened in those previous novels, I would definitely recommend though to read these before starting the spin-off - it'll be a lot more fun when you've already met certain characters before.


Have you read The Lost Prince? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

9 comments:

  1. I'm sad I'm among the minority when I say that I was actually disappointed by this book. It sucks because I have typically fallen in love with anything Julie has written. It's a TOTAL BUMMER. But, since I don't want to bum out your post, I will say that I did enjoy several aspects (Puck) including the mystery (Puck) and the overall inclusion of older characters (PUCK) like Puck... Plus, it's Julie Kagawa. So I didn't hate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Puck is the most awesome part of this whole series! (Although I have to admit that there was waaayy too little Puck in this book - hence the 0.5 stars deduction.) ;)
      Too bad you didn't like it so much though. :( Will you read book #2 though?

      Delete
  2. Everything that has PUCK in it, I want to devour :p I can't wait to read this book, because I loved the Iron fey and I hear great things about it. I loved your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Great review sweetie. <3 Glad you loved it :) I did too. Have seen a lot of people who didn't love it :p But I did. It was pretty awesome ;) Cannot wait for the next one. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great that Julie was able to give us something new even though she's pretty much used the same world? That's what's great about her writing. I loved this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great review Carina. i enjoyed this book too but i thought there wassome lacking in development and not much humor..Puck makes the story more fun i guess. geez i cant get over Puck. lol. anyway Great review Carina. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you liked this book! And I definitely agree about how I was skeptical about the author giving us a new story when using the same world, but she did an amazing job! Can't wait for the next books in the series... I have so many theories about what might happen! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im glad that you weren't disappointed with this book, despite it being a spin off! I haven't read any of The iron fey series, so I can't really say much about the character. But it seems that Julie did something amazing with this! Lovely review Carina!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so loved this one! I'm also a huge Julie Kagawa fan, I honestly don't think she could write something I'd hate :) <3 Grimalkin and was happy when he showed up! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!