Friday, November 9, 2012

Review: Allegiance by Cayla Kluver

Allegiance by Cayla Kluver
Series: The Legacy Trilogy #2
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
First published: February 28th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 490
Goodreads Summary:
An eighteen-year-old queen in love with the enemy as their countries pass the point of no return...

Bound to a man she cannot love, Queen Alera of Hytanica must forget Narian, the young man who holds her heart. For Narian is destined to conquer Hytanica at the behest of his master, the powerful magic-user known as the Overlord. Alera doesn't truly believe Narian will fight against Hytanica-until Cokyrian troops attack with Narian commanding the charge.

Faced with the greatest betrayal a heart can know, Alera must set aside personal feelings and lead her kingdom through its darkest time. And when all hope, will and courage seem lost, she must find strength and remember that even the blackest night must have a dawn...
This might include spoilers for the first book of the series.
Previous review(s): Legacy

My Rating: 3.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Following the events of the series' first book, Allegiance enables us to understand certain characters even better and made me change my opinion about them. Even though I'm not too happy with some things that happened and would have preferred a faster pace, I still liked this second installment and am looking forward to read the last part of this trilogy.  

More detailed:
Just like its predecessor, Allegiance is set at a slow pace and as I read it during a week where I had only little time to read, I had some problems staying interested in the story because of that. While the writing is still as wonderfully descriptive as in Legacy, which makes it so very easy to imagine the setting and the characters, I sometimes wished for the story to move faster.

Alera finds herself in a situation she isn't very happy about - as the new queen of Hytanica she's married to a man who expects more affection from her while the man she actually loves is gone. But, to be honest, I didn't really miss Narian while he wasn't by her side as I was very happy with the way Steldor developed. 

Even though she is trying to handle this situation as good as possible, I sometimes felt a little bit frustrated with Alera who turned out to be more whiny than I would have liked. Also, her efforts to try to solve her problems single-handedly only led to more problems and her inability to accept that certain things just cannot be changed annoyed me.

Nonetheless I liked the basic concept of the storyline that had more than just a few twists and turns I didn't expect. Sadly I'm not really a huge fan of the ending, but I'm pretty sure many others will like it. All in all, I expected to like Allegiance a bit more after having adored Legacy, but nontheless I'm looking forward to the third book to find out how Alera's story will end.


Have you read Allegiance? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Carina

3 comments:

  1. There's something about this series I just enjoy. I like all the court drama although I agree, the story could have been better paced. I also really liked Steldor :p I'm looking forward to reading the next book too.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allegiance is actually my favorite book in this series, mostly because Steldor is amazing in it. I think that this one had the most intrigue and most action for me (I've read all three), but I do love the series as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, WHO WOULDN'T FEEL FRUSTRATED WITH ALERA? Can't stand that girl. And yet I really do enjoy this series. Despite all of the frustrating bits, something about it draws me in. I'm sort of excited for Sacrifice, sort of not. We'll see where I fall once I finish it.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!