Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Review: The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski

The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux 
First published: October 16th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 416
Goodreads Summary:
Darcy Jones doesn’t remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. She has never really belonged anywhere - but she couldn’t have guessed that she comes from an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire didn’t happen and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.

Memories begin to haunt Darcy when a new boy arrives at her high school, and he makes her feel both desire and desired in a way she hadn’t thought possible. But Conn’s interest in her is confusing. It doesn’t line up with the way he first looked at her.

As if she were his enemy.

When Conn betrays Darcy, she realizes that she can’t rely on anything—not herself, not the laws of nature, and certainly not him. Darcy decides to infiltrate the Shadow Society and uncover the Shades’ latest terrorist plot. What she finds out will change her world forever . . .

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
With a very interesting concept and a story of forbidden love, The Shadow Society made me turn its pages as fast as possible to find out more about these different worlds and most importantly about Darcy's past and future.

More detailed:
With every day that passes more books are released and more ideas are no longer "new" to us. But I'm very happy to announce that Marie's Rutkoski's The Shadow Society is a quite unique novel in the YA world and managed to surprise me with its interesting concept, mixing both science fiction and paranormal elements.

Even Darcy, The Shadow Society's protagonist, isn't the usual main character you are normally confronted with. She's a little bit spunky, has slightly crazy but very loveable friends and a past that she mysteriously cannot remember. All of this sets the scene for a very interesting plot line and makes you curious to find out more about the world Darcy is thrust in.

The love story has the addictive flair of a forbidden love, which usually is already enough to get me interested. But these two are a couple that you want to overcome every single obstacle and just finally get together for good. Nonetheless there are some parts when their attitudes seriously frustrated me and I wanted to shout at them - but that kind of investment as a reader is what makes a good love story.

All in all, I really liked The Shadow Society. Even though there were a few parts of the story that didn't captivate my attention like others did, I am very pleased with how the story turned out and I'd definitely like it if there was a sequel, so I can find out even more about these worlds.


Have you read The Shadow Society? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

6 comments:

  1. I read this and really liked it. I read somewhere that it's a standalone and no sequels are planned. Kinda said, but at least we won't have to endure "sequel-phase" love with Darcy and Conn...you know, where they fight/break up/become attracted to other people like almost all second books in YA series do lately!:) Here's my review:
    Sarah@Sarah's YA Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. soo glad you liked it!!! I really enjoyed it too, it was unique - just as you said!And Oh the Love Story... it was cute and romantic - especially the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, sweetie :D Glad you loved this book ;) Even though it frustrated you ;p I'm unsure if I would like it.. I want to, because the story sounds so good. And I think the love story will be amazing. But I have peeked.. and I found a love triangle. Sort of. At least her kissing someone that is not the love interest :( and I hated that. Gah. I always peek at the wrong things when I decide if I should read a book or not.. LOL! :) Still, I might give it a chance :)
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an exciting read! I'm definitely going to read it if I get the chance :)

    - Ellie @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like it's a very original book. I haven't read it but your review make me want to. I just added to my pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been holding this one off, but no longer! I shall do my duty as a responsible book blogger and finally read my ARC so I can decide for myself. It's been so hard to wonder whose opinion I'm more likely to agree with. For the book's sake, I hope it's yours.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!