Friday, October 12, 2012

Review: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence
Series: Mystic City #1
Publisher: Delacorte Books FYR (Random House)
First published: October 9th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 416
Goodreads Summary:
Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Inspired by one of the most tragic love stories in literature, Mystic City pulled me into its dystopian world of betrayal, mixed with paranormal elements, and didn't let me go until I finished it. And even now, while writing this review, I'm still hoping that its sequel will pop up next to me magically, so I can continue reading and find out what will happen after that explosive last chapter and only slightly calming epilogue.

More detailed:
I loved reading Romeo and Juliet back in school even though I'm not the biggest fan of starcrossed lovers as heartbreak is an inevitable part of these stories. And today I'm still looking forward to every Romeo and Juliet inspired story that takes this tragic drama and twists it into something beautiful and heartbreaking in a new setting and with new but recognizable characters.

Mystic City definitely exceeded my expectations, turning out to be more addicting than I could have possibly hoped for. Aria is, despite her naivety, a very interesting protagonist whose lack of memory of certain aspects of her past make it incredibly hard to put this book down. While I soon began to suspect correctly that some characters' ambitions weren't exactly what they pretended to be, I still ended up surprised by some others.

Of course the love story is the most vital part of Mystic City. Starcrossed lovers tend to break my heart and it's no exception with this book. But the positive moments these two get to share with each other definitely make up for the lovesickness and all those parts that will make you wish you hadn't picked up a book that is so closely related to Rome and Juliet.

Only the dialogue and a few certain characters sometimes made it hard to find certain story developments believable. Some were too one-dimensional and others betrayed their intentions a little bit too easily for my taste - their choice of words in that moments felt too artificial to me, too. But keep in mind that this just happened only a few times and could be a very subjective point of view - you might not even recognize these scenes as I can be quite picky with my characters and dialogues.

All in all, Mystic City is a very well written novel set in a dystopian world that is very easy to imagine thanks to the descriptions we get. I can't wait to find out where Aria's journey will take her and what will happen to her. If you've been considering to give this book a chance, I'd recommend you to do so as soon as possible.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012



Have you read Mystic City? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

5 comments:

  1. Main characters with memory loss are always so intriguing. Sometimes, I can't deal with starcrossed lovers. It makes me so sad, haha.

    I'm glad to read a positive review. I've read some who weren't that enthusiastic about this book. I'm still looking forward to read it. Great informative review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book as well! and like you said, it really got me addicted to it as well!! Also, i was glad that it wasn't THAT much of a romeo and juliet! Great review Carina!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had NO idea that this is related to Romeo & Juliet! This book sounds lovely--I can't wait to read this one, with the cool dystopian world and beautiful romance! The premise sounds great, and thanks for the brilliant review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore the fact that this is a Romeo and Juliet retelling. The original by Shakespeare is one of my favorite tragedies of all time, mostly because it was one I read at a young age. It's great that the author managed to make it more dystopian and modern, and it certainly sounds like an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one but I had a few problems with but I did love the whole mystic concept. Great review hun.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!