Friday, September 21, 2012

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #2
Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollins)
First published: May 1st, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 525
Goodreads Summary:
One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
This review might include spoilers for Divergent.
Click here to read my review for Divergent.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Immediately following the events of the first book, Insurgent makes it very easy to get back into the story that so many people already fell in love with. We get to meet the many diverse characters again that turn this series into such an addiction and despite the novel's length, I read it in one day and never felt the need to put it away and take a break.

I shiver. The way he talks about getting out - it's like he thinks we're trapped. I never thought about it that way before, and now that seems foolish. (p. 3)*

More detailed:
Like so many others, I loved Divergent and was very happy when I finally got the chance to read its sequel. And I'm happy to be able to say that Insurgent lived up to my expectations and pulled me back into its dystopian world quite easily by showing me what's happened to its characters and giving me answers that I didn't even know I was looking for.

Tris and Four's relationship developed a lot in Insurgent, even though it isn't always easy for them to follow their heart. The dystopian world requires both of them to make choices they'd rather not make which complicates their feelings for each other more than once. But especially because of that I felt like their relationship is very realistic, even though I can't help but wish that things will be easier for them in the future.

He slides his hand over my cheek, one finger anchored behind my ear. Then he tilts his head down and kisses me, sending a warm ache through my body. I wrap my hands around his arm, holding him there as long as I can. When he touches me, the hollowed-out feeling in my chest and stomach is not as noticeable. (p. 12)*

Insurgent is full of surprising twists and turns and ends with one of the worst cliffhangers I have encountered this year. Some of the things Veronica Roth revealed in this second instalment of her series made me gasp and grip the book more tightly, hoping that these new problems might solve themselves more easily than other previous ones. No such luck though, which of course makes this series so special.

Of course Insurgent is just as packed with action and heartbreak as its predecessor and will make readers turn its pages as fast as humanly possible. Tris' narration is still very easy to follow and in combination with these perfectly flawed characters it will secure its place on many favorite lists, including mine.

He grabs the woman's wrist, yanking her forward so she loses her balance. She hits her head against the edge of the table and falls. Across the room, a gun goes off, someone screams, and everyone dives under the tables or crouches next to the benches. Everyone except me. (p. 81)*

All in all, Insurgent is the perfect second book in a series that has already pulled in many readers and will attract even more. It has the perfect amount of action, suspense, mystery, heartbreak and romance that kept me interested throughout its 525 pages, but gives me even higher expectations for the third book.




Have you read Insurgent? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

* All quotes are taken from a finished hardback copy of Insurgent by Veronica Roth, published by Katherine Tegen Books (HarperCollins), ISBN: 9780062024046.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome review, I loved this a lot and the ending definitely left me desperate for the sequel

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely ADORED this sequel. Divergent is one of my favorite series and I think Veronica Roth did a great job with her second book. It was hard to see Tris endure so much, but I like how realistic it came across!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad you loved this book, like you i loved Divergent, but for me it wasnt as good as the first. but still i enjoyed it. Great review Carina x

    ✿FICBOOKREVIEWS✿

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, sweetie. <3 Glad you loved Insurgent :D I loved it too. <3 Sigh. love your quotes ;) Cannot wait for book three :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply loved, loved, loved Insurgent. I'm dying for book three now. Must. Have. It! :)

    great review, Carina. You're so articulate, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not gonna lie, I had put off reading Insurgent since it came out. I just couldn't get into it. I might just try again in the near future. I'm glad you loved it though, Carina. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!