Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse
Series: The Forsaken #1
Publisher: Orchard Books (Hachette UK)
First published: August 2nd, 2012 (UK)
Source: Received from publisher
Format: Paperback
Pages: 426
Goodreads Summary:
Alenna Shawcross is a sixteen-year-old orphan growing up in a police state formed from the ashes of Canada, the US and Mexico after a global economic meltdown.

But when she unexpectedly fails ‘the test’ - a government initiative which supposedly identifies teens destined to be criminals - she wakes up alone on a remote island reserved for the criminally insane.

Terrified and confused, she soon encounters a group of other teen survivors battling to stay alive, including Liam, a boy who will become her love... and her lifeline.

Soon Alenna makes the terrifying discovery that there’s more to the island (and her past) than she could ever have guessed... But who can she trust? And can she ever escape?

My Rating: 3.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Set in a world not many years into the future, The Forsaken shows us a new possible society that might develop. Teenagers are brought to a remote island after failing a personality test, which accuses them to be potential criminals. The story's concept definitely seems promising, but sadly I was lacking a certain connection to it that would have made me enjoy this book even more.

More detailed:
I cannot be completely sure whether it's because I read it during a time when I was really busy, but sadly The Forsaken couldn't really live up to my expectations. While full of action it felt a bit too slow-paced at the same time and I never felt the need to pick it up as soon as possible to find out what will happen next.

She raises the gun to her shoulder, taking aim again. 'You and your friend better be fast runners,' she whispers to me, sounding worried for the first time. 'Or you're gonna get us all killed!' (p. 51)*

Luckily the plot picked up toward the end and made me more curious about its outcome. The world Alenna is tossed into on the island is different from what she initially expected and still continues to surprise both her and any readers.

But not only the island ensures that there are enough surprises, but The Forsaken's characters do so, too. While Alenna is fairly naive and therefore makes her later kick-ass-attitude slightly unbelievable, there are many other characters who aren't as easy to understand. Some of the other kids disappointed me while others surprised me in a very positive way.

David just stands there, looking resigned, with his shoulders slumped. Like he expected this would be his fate. Like he knows he's guilty of something. But what? (p. 37)*

The writing of The Forsaken is very easy to follow and has the possibility to turn this into a very fast read if you have - unlike me - the necessary time. Despite my lack of connection to the world and its characters I still liked the story Lisa M. Stasse presented me with and am definitely curious what will happen now - especially after that spectacular ending that almost made me sad it was over.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012



Have you read The Forsaken? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

* All quotes are taken from a finished paperback copy of The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse, published (and sent to me in exchange for an honest review) by Orchard Books (Hachette UK).

1 comment:

  1. I'm still really interested in this book because the premise sounds so intriguing. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!