Monday, August 27, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #43

Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

I was way too slow reading-wise last week, so I'm hoping to finally get to read The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse, which I've started already but am not really far into yet. I like what I've read so far though.
Goodreads Summary:
Alenna Shawcross is a sixteen-year-old orphan growing up in a police state formed from the ashes of Canada, the US and Mexico after a global economic meltdown.

But when she unexpectedly fails ‘the test’ - a government initiative which supposedly identifies teens destined to be criminals - she wakes up alone on a remote island reserved for the criminally insane.

Terrified and confused, she soon encounters a group of other teen survivors battling to stay alive, including Liam, a boy who will become her love... and her lifeline.

Soon Alenna makes the terrifying discovery that there’s more to the island (and her past) than she could ever have guessed... But who can she trust? And can she ever escape?

My second read for this week will (hopefully) be Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett, which I'll be reading for its blog tour. I've heard some good things about it even though I've not seen too many reviews for it yet, but am exited nonetheless.
Goodreads Summary:
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)

And, if I'm really lucky which I'm highly doubting, I might even get around to start My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris, which sounds like an absolutely amazing read and which I've heard really good things about already.
Goodreads Summary:
On the precipice of her sixteenth birthday, the last thing lone wolf Cat Crawford wants is an extravagant gala thrown by her bubbly stepmother and well-meaning father. So even though Cat knows the family’s trip to Florence, Italy, is a peace offering, she embraces the magical city and all it offers. But when her curiosity leads her to an unusual gypsy tent, she exits . . . right into Renaissance Firenze.

Thrust into the sixteenth century armed with only a backpack full of contraband future items, Cat joins up with her ancestors, the sweet Alessandra and protective Cipriano, and soon falls for the gorgeous aspiring artist Lorenzo. But when the much-older Niccolo starts sniffing around, Cat realizes that an unwanted birthday party is nothing compared to an unwanted suitor full of creeptastic amore.

Can she find her way back to modern times before her Italian adventure turns into an Italian forever?

What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?


Also be sure to enter my current international giveaway:

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh yay! I hope you enjoy The Forsaken and I'm glad that you're liking what you've read so far x) I haven't heard much about Confessions of an Angry Girl either but hopefully it'll be one of those books that blows you away? Haha! I so understand the slow-reading thing though. I'm pretty sure I've only read like, three books this month :S Anyway, hope you're able to get lots of reading done this week and E N J O Y all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy all of them! I've heard mixed reviews on all three of them. I'm hoping to read Clockwork Prince, White Cat and maybe The Immortal Rules or The DUFF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved Angry Girl!!! It was cute and sweet and I am dying to read the next one! I'm reading raven Boys this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Forsaken has some fabulous twists, and I've read good things about Angry Girl too. Hope you enjoy them all!

    I'm hoping to read The Raven Boys, Speechless, and finish up Vanquished this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading The Raven Boys now, as well as a memoir called Making Piece. I'm curious about The Forsaken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of those books sound so great! I can't wait to see your thoughts on all of them. I love the cover for MY SUPER SWEET SIXTEENTH CENTURY! <3 My Fictional Distractions for the week are Beneath the Glitter, Burn For Burn, and Harry Potter #5. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!