Thursday, August 9, 2012

Cover Comparisons #67: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
(US Harback / US Paperback / GER)
You can click on each cover to enlarge it.


The real-life version of the US hardback of Shatter Me is so very pretty and shiny, but with time I'm getting a little bit annoyed by the slightly aggressive feeling to it. Therefore I'm actually quite happy with the new covers they chose even if my copy of Shatter Me won't match with my (future) copy of Unravel Me. While I have to admit that the eye is quite a bit creepy, I like the very unique style and it would make me curious about the book immediately, if I had not read and loved it already. The German version is okay, I'd say, although at first I was pretty confused when I saw it in a book store. You might remember that girl's image from Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon - and to be honest I hate it when two different books have such obvious cover similarities.
Which version do you like best?
  
pollcode.com free polls 






Which version did you vote for? Why?
Carina

8 comments:

  1. Oh dear me ... I just blogged about those dreaded cover twins on Monday and THIS is an example I hadn't come across yet. One should think that publishing houses did some research before slapping on the same girl onto half a dozen books (ok, exaggerating, but only a bit). But you know what I dislike the most about the German cover? The German title. Couldn't they have come up with something a bit more succinct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love loooooovvvveeeeeee the new US cover! It's pretty, catching and dystopian! I never liked the first cover...

    About the cover twins.. One shouldn't be too harsh because we should never forget that 99% read books in their language meaning, Germans do not care that this particular cover was already used for a US version of a totally different book.
    Of course, we book bloggers are a little different since we spend lots of our time over covers and such things. Especially girls like us who are not from the US but reading US releases.

    Anyway, getting back, I LOVE the new US cover :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're right, I just tend to forget that others don't care about that as much as I / we do. :D It was just sooo confusing standing in the book store because for a second I was wondering whether Tahereh Mafi had actually written Carrier of the Mark. :D

      Delete
  3. I think the US paperback is pretty, though it's not going to match my first book either. I love what they did with the eye; it's really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really not a big fan of the German version; I keep thinking of Carrier of the Mark and can't separate the two.

    I'm still not sure whether or not I like the paperback. It's definitely different and I like how creative it is. That said, perhaps I need to read this book (I know, I know!), but a giant eye with tree-eyelashes and waterfall-tears just doesn't make sense to me. What does it have to do with the story?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the US cover! The German one is just a copy of Carrier of the Mark which is a shame because people will get the two books confused. Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I really am not liking the paperback US editions.. now I'm sure Unravel me hardback is going to have the cover with the eye and my books won't match! Really get annoyed when publishers change the covers mid series :(

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the original US cover the best.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!