Friday, August 3, 2012

Review: The Blessed by Tonya Hurley

The Blessed by Tonya Hurley
Series: The Blessed #1
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books (Hachette UK)
First published: August 2nd, 2012
Source: Received from publisher
Format: ARC
Pages: 419
Goodreads Summary:
Brooklyn teens Lucy, Cecelia and Agnes find themselves in the emergency room at Perpetual Help Hospital at the lowest point in their lives. Lucy, the superficial party girl; Cecelia, a drop out rock chick; and Agnes, a hopeless romantic. All rebels running from their lives and themselves, plagued by broken hearts and broken dreams. Enter Sebastian. Mysterious, compelling, seductive. He seems to bring each of them what they long for...

But in the battle for his heart, will they lose their souls?
I'd recommend The Blessed for an older audience. (16+)

My Rating: 3.5 / 5

First thoughts:
With a dark and dangerous premise, four main characters that experience new kinds of pain and a story line that is very unique, The Blessed will be the right story for everyone who is looking for something different in the YA book world.

More detailed:
Even though I'm usually not a huge fan of books with religious topics, The Blessed's synopsis intrigued me immediately. And while it's not one of my favorite reads, I enjoyed certain parts of it and especially its uniqueness. It's definitely different from anything I have read before, which is hard to find for someone who reads as much as we book bloggers do.

As mentioned above, I'd definitely recommend The Blessed for an older audience. Some scenes are not suitable for readers who dislike violence and / or sexual innuendoes, but since I'm someone who prefers more mature Young Adult stories, I had no problems with that.

Mostly though, The Blessed felt more like an introduction for what I'm expecting will be a very interesting and good series. We slowly get to know Sebastian, Agnes, Lucy, and Cecilia and find out what's so special about them and what they are probably going to face in the future. Sadly I had a hard time really connecting with any of them since the narrational point of view changes often.

But nonetheless it was an easy read, especially since its unpredictable story line ensured that I was captivated all the time. The Blessed is a book that's not easy to forget and I'm looking forward to read the second book in this series and find out more about the characters' fate.


Have you read The Blessed? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so feel free to leave a comment.
Carina

3 comments:

  1. You make it sound SO mysterious - and I'm definitely intrigued. I want to find out more about all these awesome characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just signed up for a tour of this, but I just have to say the UK cover is waaay better than the US one. I really love it, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! When I first heard about this book I wasn't sure if it was something I would like either but it did sound really good. However now the more I heard about it, I think I will need to pick this book up. That's always good when the storyline is unpredictable too.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!