Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: Rock and a Hard Place by Angie Stanton

Rock and a Hard Place by Angie Stanton
Series: The Jamieson Collection #1
Publisher: Self-Published
First published: April 15th, 2011
Source: Received from author
Format: eBook
Pages: 228
Goodreads Summary:
One day while watching the Interstate exit for her dad’s long awaited return, Libby’s life is rocked when Peter Jamieson steps off his tour bus and into her life. After a couple chance meetings with Peter, Libby breaks away from her rule abiding behavior and her life changes course.

Peter longs for normalcy away from the screaming fans who know nothing about the real him. He is amazed to discover Libby has never heard of him or his band. Soon their friendship turns to love. While Peter battles his family's growing interference so he can spend time with Libby, she struggles with her eccentric aunt who turns more bizarre each day.

Their lives are torn apart when Peter's family intrudes and Libby disappears. Peter’s desperate search for her comes up empty. Can they find their way back to each other while the world plots against them?

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Why on earth did I wait so long to read this? Bittersweet, heart-breaking and hopeful at the same time, Rock and a Hard Place is a love story that will appeal to everyone who is looking for a contemporary YA novel that shows how important true love and the belief in yourself is. 

Late in the night Libby drifted off with the glorious sound of Peter's voice lulling her to sleep. There were no bad dreams that night. (Kindle Location 709)*

More detailed:
I'm definitely not reading enough contemporary YA novels, so I'm glad to add Rock and a Hard Place to my list of read books, especially because its beautiful style of writing warmed my heart even when things weren't looking so good for its main characters. 

Libby's life is anything but easy ever since a tragic accident turned her life upside down. But when she meets Peter, whose life is full of glamour and beautiful music, it seems to change for the better. Even though, at times, I felt as if their feelings for each other were developing very, almost too, fast and intensely, I enjoyed witnessing their interactions.

"We barely know each other, and, well..." Mischief lit her face and he wondered what she was up to. "We've never even kissed." (Kindle Location 770)*

Especially fans of novels that incorporate music and its beauty into the story will enjoy Rock and a Hard Place. As a part of a band which is a huge success, Peter has to deal with both, the beautiful task of writing songs and the pressure of living up to everyone else's expectations. Especially the latter creates lots of hurdles for him and Libby and make sure that a reader's heart will be broken more than once.

Peter loved this part of the night. After a long afternoon of rehearsal, sound checks, and final warm ups, it was time for the payoff. This was nirvana. (Kindle Location 627)*

All in all, I'm very happy that I finally got around to reading A Rock and a Hard Place. While certain parts broke my heart, others put it back together again and made me smile. It's a story in which a boy and a girl from completely different worlds complete each other and never give up even though there's put more than one obstacle in their way. Beautiful.


Have you read A Rock and a Hard Place? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so feel free to leave a comment below.
Carina

* All quotes are taken from a Kindle copy of A Rock and a Hard Place by Angie Stanton.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds absolutely beautiful. I definitely want to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds lovely. I love contemporary YA! I have been reading so much dystopian that I need to mix it up a bit with something sweet and heartwarming. This sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation!

    s @ Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carina,
    Thank you for the lovely review of Rock and a Hard Place. Readers seem to really enjoy this book. I guess there's something about young love that appeals to all of us.
    ~Angie Stanton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! im sooo glad you enjoyed this book! I got it for review from the author a couple of months ago, and I really enjoyed it as well! I don't know about their feelings developing too fast, because most "celebrity" find it hard to find people who like them for who they ARE! Anyways great review Carina!
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!