Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux #2
Publisher: Entangled Teen (Entangled Publishing)
First published: August 14th, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: eBook (Kindle)
Pages: 376
Goodreads Summary:
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…
This review might include spoilers for Obsidian.
Previous review(s): Obsidian


My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
As a book blogger I know how annoying it can be when your life decides to eat up all the time you'd love to spend reading and blogging - but my reasons for absence aren't (sadly) as swoon-worthy or (luckily) as life-threatening as Katy's.

More detailed:
So far Jennifer L. Armentrout has always managed to make me love her books and Onyx is no exception. I already loved the first installment of the Lux series and am happy to announce that I liked its sequel (almost) just as much. Katy and Daemon pulled me back into their world of danger, passion and fantastic humour and didn't want to let me go once I was finished.

The thing, or rather the person, I was looking forward to the most was, of course, Daemon Black. He can melt you into a puddle with one word, annoy you to death or just surprise you more than you'd ever expect. And in Onyx he definitely didn't disappoint - on the contrary, I liked him even more than in Obsidian, which should have been impossible.

Katy, on the other hand, can be a tiny bit annoying during some moments in Onyx. I can completely understand her doubts concerning a certain handsome neighbour, but nonetheless I sometimes wanted to shake her awake and tell her to finally realize that he's a very awesome male specimen and not only a pretty face to look at. But apart from that I really enjoyed witnessing the story from her point of view again and still think that she's a wonderful and favorite-worthy female main character.

The plot takes some very interesting and surprising twists and turns in Onyx and made sure that I don't just love this series for its characters. I won't elaborate on the things that are in store for you once you decide to pick it up, but it definitely doesn't get boring.

All in all, Onyx is a very worthy sequel for the awesomeness that is Obsidian, yet I didn't feel like giving it five stars. In comparison to its predecessor I liked it (just a tiny bit) less, but my expectations for the third book are incredibly high nonetheless. If you have yet to read this series, don't dare to wait much longer and just pick it up - I'm pretty sure you'll love it.



Have you read Onyx? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it or Obsidian?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree, I couldn't wait to start Onyx just to read more about Daemon. I also agree about Kitty being a bit too annoying in this book because of her insecurities. Awesome review!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooved loved loved Obsidian!!! But I was afraid picking the sequel up. Also, there were some mediocre reviews?.. So thank you!!! Now I'm finally excited again, and "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops sorry, I hit send before was done!!...

    So yes daemon is the most annoying, but hot and sexy character ever ! And, this trailer is wicked hot :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven´t read Obsidian yet. I need to read it soon, this series sounds really good. Great review.
    Adriana@ Reading Fictional

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Obsidian earlier this month and loved it and I'm currently waiting for Onyx to arive so I can read it. Your review has gotten me even more excited and I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed. I have high hopes and hopefully I enjoy it as much as you did. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this was a great installment as well. I loved the double climax

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!