Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: Losing Lila by Sarah Alderson

Losing Lila by Sarah Alderson
Series: Lila #2
Publisher: Simon Pulse (Simon & Schuster UK)
First published: August 2nd, 2012
Source: Received from publisher
Format: Paperback
Pages: 322
Goodreads Summary:
Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which is somehow tracking their every move. While Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila's only thought is of finding a way back to California so she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they're being held. Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the others she's come to think of as family, Lila plans not only to save her brother and mum, but also to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for. But the plan requires Lila to return to California alone, and to make friends with the enemy - and in doing so, she risks losing everything: Alex, her family… even her life.
This review might include spoilers for Hunting Lila.
Previous review(s): Hunting Lila

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Almost better than its predecessor, Losing Lila starts off with lots of action and never pauses to a slower pace. The romance is bittersweet, sexy and heartfelt, the friendships will never fail to make you smile and the witty narration makes the sad moments bearable. If you have yet to read this series, stop procrastinating and pick it up - it's worth every second you spend reading it, and more.

'Bye,' Suki called out, her eyes so glued to Alex's bare chest that she failed to watch where she was going and walked straight into the doorpost. We heard her giggling all the way down the stairs. (p. 45)*

More detailed:
If a book makes you squeal like a little girl, laugh out loud, and shout at its characters angrily, you know it's going to end up on your list of favorites. Losing Lila is no exception and alternately turned me into a puddle of goo and a bundle of nerves. It was just impossible to put down and I finished reading it in less than a day, always hoping that the book might magically become thicker.

Just like in the first novel, the romance warmed my heart and made me clutch the book to my chest on more than one occasion. I was lucky to be mostly alone while reading it, because my reactions would have caused more than one raised eyebrow, but, as I said above, this is exactly what makes a novel like Losing Lila so special.

He leaned forward and kissed me, still smiling. My whole body melted away, the muscles becoming as soft as sponges dipped in a hot bath, all the guilt and worry disappearing back into the corners of my consciousness, where I preferred them to stay. (p. 17)*

The times aren't easy for Alex and Lila, but they manage to never give up and fight for the things they believe in and the people they love. Their interactions are beautiful and I loved witnessing how not only they developed but quite a few secondary characters as well. Sarah Alderson has created such wonderful characters (although there are, of course, some evildoers as well) and I fell in love with them completely.

There was never really a slow moment in Losing Lila; everyone and everything constantly moved and changed, trying to find solutions to the problems and severe situations they were faced with. Some powers developed to a great extent, not only surprising its wielders but me, as a reader, as well. I was always looking forward to the next fight, hoping to find out even more.

We were six floors up. I looked at Alex, wondering what he was thinking. He wasn't looking down, though. He was looking across at the opposite roof.
'We've got to jump,' he said.
'Are you kidding?'
He wasn't kidding. (p. 5)*

If you have not read this series, do yourself a favour and don't wait any longer. If you've only read Hunting Lila so far, go ahead and get a copy of Losing Lila as well, because you'll love how this story continues. While reading this series, I completely fell in love with Sarah Alderson's writing and will make sure to read more of her books in the future.


Have you read Losing Lila? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

* All quotes are taken from a finished paperback copy of Losing Lila by Sarah Alderson, published by Simon Pulse (ISBN: 9780857071972).

2 comments:

  1. I absolutly loved Losing Lila, even more than Hunting Lila, and it's nice to hear that you had the same experience! So far the isn't any news on a 3rd book but I REALLY hope there is because I'm not ready to say goodbye just yet. Sarah Alderson is genius. It's action-packed and gripping; swoony and sexy; addictive and a real page turner! Not to mention, ALEX! *swoon* *sigh* *swoon some more* Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about this book. I liked it even more than I liked Hunting Lila and as you pointed out, I loved that there were no slow moments, no stopping at all. The entire thing was one huge adventure that made me laugh, but also caused some major heartbreak.
    Wonderful review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!