Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson
Series: Lila #1
Publisher: Simon Pulse (Simon & Schuster UK)
First published: August 5th, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 318
Goodreads Summary:
17-year-old Lila has two secrets she’s prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she’s been in love with her brother’s best friend, Alex, since forever.

After a mugging exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust—her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they’ve found them.

In a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone—there are others out there just like her—people with special powers—and her mother’s killer is one of them…

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
With very unique paranormal elements and a love story that will make you swoon, Hunting Lila turned out to be just as awesome as so many other bloggers already told me. Lila's a character who is easy to relate to despite her paranormal problems and with her narration I was inevitably pulled into her world and didn't want to leave it once I got to the book's end.

I caught sight of the top of Alex's head and inhaled fast, my heart rate skyrocketing. I missed my footing on the next step and went tumbling forwards. In the split second before I hit the wall all I could think was that this wasn't exactly the reunion I'd fantasised about in my head every hour of every day for the last three years. (p. 21)*

More detailed:
Even though I had read many very positive reviews for Hunting Lila, I took much longer than necessary to finally read it myself. And now I can just say that I'm regretting to have waited so long and can only advise anyone who is thinking about reading it, to do so as soon as possible.

The love story is definitely one of my favorite aspects about Hunting Lila. Even before we get to know her, she was in love with her brother's best friend Alex and when she sees him again after a few years, all her old feelings come rushing back. And while my teenage crushes might not have been as intense as hers, I could completely sympathize with her feelings.

Bachelor pad? Of course. It was absurd that Alex wouldn't be dating girls. He was beautiful, and yes, I was blinded by bias, but it was still an undisputable fact. By anyone. (p. 15)*

But not only Alex and Lila's relationship is lovely to witness. Sarah Alderson has created many characters that are so realistic despite being "only" secondary characters and make reading this so much more fun. Their relationships are almost just as complex as the main love story and that's what makes a book special for me.

As I've already said above, I really liked the paranormal elements of Hunting Lila as well. Powers like Lila's telekinesis are usually connected with being a certain supernatural creature and I liked that this wasn't the case in this book. And finding out more about the organization and groups that were created based on the problems such powers might come with was very interesting as well.

I knelt on the floor, breathing loudly. I had to get this under control. No more using my ability, for anything. That was the rule. (p. 17)*

All in all, I wish I could force you to read Hunting Lila if you haven't done so already. My only criticism is that I wish it were longer which would have given me a chance to spend even more time in this intriguing world. Be sure to have a copy of the second book Losing Lila near when starting this series, because you're going to crave it.


Have you read Hunting Lila? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so feel free to leave a comment below.
Carina

* These quotes are taken from a finished copy of Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson, published by Simon & Schuster UK.

8 comments:

  1. kyaaaa! Im so happy you joined the Lila club!! I LOVED this book! I recently read it like 2-3 weeks ago only and I went totally nuts for it. I got already my copy of Losing Lila which Im reading next yay!!
    Oh dear, I wish this book was longer too. Sniff, but we have a sequel to drool for!

    Wonderful review my dear ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did feel like I wanted more at the end of all that. Which is why I'm so stoked for Losing Lila! I absolutely CANNOT WAIT to read it! I'm convinced it will be mind-blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaah I think im going to regret not reading this book as well! I just never got the chance to START it!! Im so glad you liked it! This is definitely going up on my TBR pile! Great Review!
    Farag @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! Who could resist an amusing and kind-heartet group of people WITH superpowers to add? Not me, and not you by the looks of it. :) I just finished Losing Lila, and let me tell you, it was even better than it's predecessor. I had so much fun with it.
    Lovely review, Carina! I'm so glad you enjoyed this. Now we can both gush about Alex. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Hunting Lila yet, but I plan to. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and that the romance is stellar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this book yet but I plan to do it soon! I'm glad that you liked it and the romance sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Carina. I loved this book, it's one of my favourite and Alex...sigh! Wait till you read Losing Lila. Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, so glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I read this last year and loved it. It sure is a unique paranormal and I have to agree, that the love story aspect was also my favorite part. Enjoy Losing Lila, I loved it even more than Hunting Lila! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!