Friday, August 17, 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu
Series: Glitch #1
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
First published: August 7th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 371
Goodreads Summary:
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

My Rating: 3.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Set in a world where feelings like love, hatred, and fear are anomalous, Glitch introduces us to a scary but almost believable future. While the first part was very easy and fast to read, it slowed down later and, for me, it got harder to identify with the characters that were intriguing when I first met them. Nonetheless I'd recommend this one for lovers of dystopian novels that are looking for another possible society to hate.

"The Community Link is peace. We are Humanity Sublime because we live in Community and favor above all else order, logic, and peace. Community first, Community always." (Kindle Location 109)*

More detailed:
I am huge fan of dystopian stories that give me the chance to see how our society might develop in the future - no matter how scary these possibilities might be. Despite having heard a few mixed / negative things about Glitch, I was looking forward to reading it myself. And even though I had a few issues with it, I liked it and am curious to find out what will happen now.

The first part of Glitch was definitely the one that captivated me the most. Heather Anastasiu introduced me to the world Zoe grew up in very well and soon I felt scared for this girl. The world building is done really well; all necessary questions are answered for a reader to be able to understand the basic concept of the "Community", but there are still many other mysteries left to solve.

His expression was blank. Detached. No trace of a smile or any emotion. Watching him felt like looking at an empty room - the walls and furniture were all perfectly in place, but had no life. (Kindle Location 60)*

But after that first part the action, which made it so hard to put Glitch down, slows and the story seems to stagnate a bit. We get a love triangle that felt a little bit too forced for me, especially because Zoe's feelings for the "second guy" were purely based on, at first, the happiness of having found someone who is like her and, later, guilt.

Nonetheless Heather Anastasiu managed to surprise me at certain points, weaving elements into the story that I did not expect and had to re-read to realize what-the-hell had just happened. All in all, I didn't love but liked Glitch and would definitely recommend you to give it a chance if it has been on your radar already.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012



Have you read Glitch? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love hear your thoughts!
Carina

* All quotes are taken from an eARC of Glitch by Heather Anastasiu, courtesy of St. Martin's Press and NetGalley, and are subject to change in the finished version.

10 comments:

  1. Great review. I also know how you feel, I loved the begining and the end but felt nothing really progressed during the middle part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... I always loved the cover, but the story didn't completely sold me. I'm actually sad to hear that the second part was so lacking especially after the better first one. Often it's the other way around though :))

    Oh and... Love Triangle's are always tricky and when they feel forced I am just annoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you said that the story kind of fizzled in the middle. It felt like a lot of stopping and starting for me. But I am interested in seeing where it is going to go next! Great review!

    Courtney @ Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just seen this book all over the blogs, but the concept is interesting. I'm very much like you and like dystopians to see how life could potentially evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still rather curious about this one--I know someone who really loved it and her review makes me want to read it asap, but I'm still so hesitant. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this one floating around and I just love the cover.

    "Nonetheless I'd recommend this one for lovers of dystopian novels that are looking for another possible society to hate."

    I'm ALWAYS looking for more societies to hate. I can't get enough of dystopians so I may have to check Glitch out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive been hearing mix reviews about this book and Im not that eager to read it thought it still sounds interesting. The cover is gorgeous though. I also loved dystopians so will be adding this on my list. Great review Carina x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  8. ehh.. i hate it when books are great in the beginning, then start becoming slow! And i also hate forced love triangles! Thanks very much for your honest review Carina!

    Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the ideas presented in this book, but the romance was a huge disappointment for me. I felt like it took away from the book rather than adding to it.

    Great review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the cover of this book; it looks so pretty. The premise really does sound intriguing and I might check it out for myself, but overall, been seeing mixed reviews.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!