Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Series: Beautiful #1
Publisher: Atria Books (Simon & Schuster)
Published: August 14th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 432
Goodreads Summary:
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
I'd recommend this for an older audience (16+).

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
There's always that one book among many that you pick up without too many expectations and end up falling love with just after reading a few sentences, and that love just grows with every chapter. One of these books is Beautiful Disaster, which I devoured as fast as possible without realizing that with every beautiful word I read, I came closer to its inevitable ending. I need more!

His eyes brightened. "You have my word. I won't even think about your panties... unless you want me to." (Kindle Location 237)* 

More detailed:
I had heard amazing things about Beautiful Disaster, but I also have to admit that I was scared that all the hype would leave me disappointed. If you're having the same fears, stop worrying and get your own copy of this awesome novel immediately - it was more addicting than chocolate cakes, fresh coffee or anything else that can make a girl happy.

The love story is as intense as one can get. Travis and Abby are perfectly imperfect and have to face many ups and downs together. As the bad boy and the not-so-good girl they have many issues to get over, which ensures that reading Beautiful Disaster never gets boring. Whenever I thought 'Yes, they finally got over issue Y', they found problem Z to fight over (just to make up, or out, again).

A pair of heavy black boots stepped in front of me, diverting my attention to the floor. My eyes traveled upward; jeans spattered with blood, a set of finely chiseled abs, a bare, tattooed chest drenched in sweat, and finally a pair of warm, brown eyes. (Kindle Location 72)*

I actually didn't know that Beautiful Disaster has some very steamy and hot scenes that make a girl even happier, but I definitely didn't mind finding out about it. I wouldn't exactly classify this as a Young Adult story - more something leaning toward "New Adult." This is why, like I already said above, I'd recommend this for an older audience rather than the usual YA one.


But not only the love story made it so hard to put down Beautiful Disaster. I also adored the supporting characters, especially America and Shepley, who were so vividly and realistically written that I'd love to read a novel just about them as well. While they are continually weaved into Abby and Travis' lives, I love that they had their own little love story as well.

She seemed disappointed, and I giggled at the fallen expression on her face. It had always been a dream of America's for us to date friends, and roomated-slash-cousins, for her, was hitting the jackpot. (Kindle Location 314)*

All in all, Beautiful Disaster is a book that I put onto my favorites-list immediately after finishing it. I'm definitely regretting that I never read it before despite the raving reviews and now can't wait for Jamie McGuire's upcoming companion novel Walking Disaster which will allow us to witness the same story from Travis' point of view.

By the way, why are you still reading this review? Get a copy of Beautiful Disaster and read it. Now!


Have you read Beautiful Disaster? If yes, what did you think about it?
If no, do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Carina

* All quotes are taken from an eARC of Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, courtesy of Atria Books and NetGalley, and are subject to change in the final version.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm torn now. The blurb hadn't really pulled me in when I first read it, and then I read some good things about it, so I requested it on Netgalley. The same day I requested it I came across three really negative reviews, so I pushed it down my reading list, lol. This title seems to be one of those love it/hate it sort of books. I think I might bring it a little higher up on my reading list now, because I can't wait to see what I make of it. Glad you loved it, and I've also heard about it being more NA than YA, so what you're saying makes total sense. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I also heard some conflicting stuff about this book, but I think I'll give it a try. I mean, it's more addicting than chocolate cake! That's crazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm so happy you enjoyed this book, I really loved Beautiful Disaster.

    World of Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I'm still not sure about how I feel about this book. I've seen extremely mixed reviews, but your review makes it sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually went out this morning and purchased this book, so it's great to see a review for it! I think it sounds really intriguing and so I'm looking forward to starting it. I'm glad you enjoyed it - thanks for the great post.

    Steph @ SteppingOutOfThePage.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. this sounds AMAZING! I actually never gave it much though.. but this book is definitely a book ill be purchasing soon! Travis and Abby sound like really interesting characters! Great review Carina!
    - Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this book and I'm actually not planning on reading it. I heard some things about it that really turned me off, so it's wise for me to stay away from it :) I'm glad that you enjoyed it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm. I read it a few weeks ago and really loved the first third or so. I thought the dialgoue especially was excellent. But then it was all downhill from there for me. I had a lot issues with this one. I thought their relationship was very unhealthy, but apart from that I also thought there were many inconsistencies in plot and characterization...
    This really seems to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it books, so although I don't agree with you I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Given the recent hoopla on this book, I'm so happy to see some nice reviews! Thanks for your sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed this book as well! I LOVE IT! (I need to reread it again, and soon!) It was definitely better than chocolate cakes. :)

    Great review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like many others in this thread, I'm a little torn on this one. I've heard great things and I've heard not-so-great things. At this point, I'd read it more to make up my own mind about it. But I'm also concerned, because a lot of the not-so-great things I've heard are usually pretty good indicators that I won't like it - but I've been wrong before!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This arrived for review last week and at first I wasn't sure if I would even read it but after yet another beautiful, glowing review (yours!), I'm moving this to the top of the pile. Really looking forward to this, hopefully I'll be just as surprised as you as to how much I end up liking it. Love the fact that it sounds super addictive! Glad you enjoyed it so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can not wait for Walking Disaster either! I loved this book :D Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!