Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cover Comparisons #64: The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



(US / GER)
You can click on each cover to enlarge it.


To be honest, the only thing I truly adore about the German cover is the title, which can be translated into Do you even know that you broke my heart? and just makes it sound like a very interesting story immediately. But despite the colors, I don't really like the rest of the cover. The balloon heart just looks pitiful and even though I'm sure that it was intended, I just wouldn't find it appealing to pick it up. In contrast to that, I absolutely adore the US cover... the girl "flying in heaven", the beautiful typography and the overall dreamy feeling made me want to read it immediately - I even bought a copy as soon as it was released but have yet to get around to read it.

Which version do you like best?
  
pollcode.com free polls 






Which version did you vote for? Why?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. I cannot vote this time: I LOVE both! Both for different reasons and yes when I first saw the German cover and the title I was in love :) But, I also love the US cover - it's cute fitting and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The german title makes me cringe, but the Cover is really beautiful! Seems like the first time I voted for the german one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely prefer the US cover. I think that it's just the kind of cover that would convince me to pick this book up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The US one all the way! The German one is a clever concept, but like Pia said, it makes me cringe! Thanks for sharing, I've never heard of this one before :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them both actually. I think the German could be nice if it didn't have that deflated heart. The coloring and text just doesn't look like anything I have ever seen before !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what they were going for with the German cover but it just doesn't work. I like the whimsy of the US one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like both of them so idk which one to vote for, but thanks for sharing these covers! I just found your blog and will definitely be following it from now on :) I recently added some summer reading lists to my new log if you want to take a look: http://heartisinthewriteplace.blogspot.com/
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!