Friday, July 6, 2012

Cover Comparisons #62: Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



  Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
(US / UK / GER)
You can click on each cover to enlarge it.


First of all, I have to say that I love that all covers have the red/grayish colour scheme that fits the book's mood and topic so very well. Nonetheless the US cover will always be my favorite because I just love the image in combination with the fairly dramatic typography - it looks soooo gorgeous. I like the UK cover, but for me it's nothing really special. But my least favorite is the German cover, which probably is because the model's image was also used in the cover for Amy Plum's Die For Me (take a look at it here) and I liked that version a lot better. In this cover the girl looks a little bit out of place.

Which version do you like best?
  
pollcode.com free polls 






Which version did you vote for? Why?
Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.
Carina

6 comments:

  1. Yes, my vote goes for the US cover as well! There's something off about the UK version -- maybe because it's not really unique -- and it's strange seeing the Die For Me girl on the German version.

    I really need to read this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the US cover the most too - it has a perfect balance of read and grey, and the girl with the umbrella fits in well. However, I like the UK one the least - it doesn't look original and it's a bit boring to look at. The German one is better but the arrangement of the picture, title and author name don't seem well placed.

    Thanks for this post, Carina <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all over the US cover. It's probably my favorite cover so far this year. I still like just looking at my finished copy just because it's so striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the US cover, too, but I really do like the UK--it's kinda Phantom of the Opera-ish! When I saw the German cover, I knew I saw it before somewhere, and it wasn't until you said Die For Me that I realized it was used for Die For Me!

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. US cover! It fits the story well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the US cover best. It has been a fave cover this year so far. I think what would have been perfect is the US cover with the mask from the UK cover hanging off of her hand or somehow incorporated into the cover because it played such a huge role in the novel. That would have made the US cover PERFECTION

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!