Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
Series: Sweet Evil #1
Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollins)
First published: May 1st, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 447
Goodreads Summary:
Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
This novel broke my heart and only put it together to break it again, turning this into one of the most bittersweet love stories that I have read so far. With a very interesting angel / demon lore and a love interest that will make every girl swoon, Sweet Evil was impossible to put down and didn't take long to secure its place in my list of favorites.

More detailed:
After having read the awesome summary, stared at the gorgeous cover, and read so many raving reviews for Sweet Evil I had extremely high expectations and couldn't help but grin while reading it as I realized that every single expectation was actually met. This turned out to be one of my new all-time favorites and I can't wait to find out how Anna and Kaidan's story will continue.

While I always seem to have lots of luck when picking up angel stories, I am very happy that Sweet Evil can be added to the list of awesome angel novels, together with e.g. the Unearthly series by Cynthia Hand. But in constrast to that one, Sweet Evil has a delicious seductive feeling to it which makes it even harder to put it down and think about something else but Kaidan Rowe.

Sweet Evil is definitely an awesome read for anyone who prefers a slightly more grown up Young Adult story, because Anna and Kaidan's interactions will definitely make you want to switch places with Anna and enjoy this half-demon's touches and kisses.

As a main character, Anna is very likeable with a voice that's easy to listen to and that ensures that you experience the things right along with her. The discoveries she makes about herself and the world aren't the easiest to digest, but she doesn't change her moralities and tries to be the person she always envisioned herself to be.

The other characters we are introduced to are very diverse and while some of them are not people you'd ever like to meet, I fell in love with some of the others. Especially some of the Nephilim Anna meets are quite three-dimensional characters that I'm sure will be intriguing to find out even more about in the sequel.

All in all, I'd love to force everyone to read this book because it's just as amazing as everyone has been saying. I know that some people have problems finding angel books they like, so if you're one of them you should definitely give Sweet Evil a chance. And if you're just looking for your next favorite read, get a copy as well. I don't think anyone will be disappointed by Wendy Higgins' debut novel.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012




Have you read Sweet Evil? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so feel free to leave a comment below!
Carina

11 comments:

  1. Such a fantastic book---I'm glad to hear you loved it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe they're not picking up the second novel for publishing... Apparently they're signing a petition for it or something ,


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this one so much. Awesome review, Carina ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this one - must get started on it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one too! So glad you like Anna and Kai...I think the theme song for this novel should be "Good Girl" by Carrie Underwood

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually ADORE Sweet Evil, glad to see it rocked your socks too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read the ARC, I'm actually curious how it differs from the actual copy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was just as amazing as I had hoped it would be! I was (positively) surprised about how outspoken it was on some subjects, too. And it was so much fun! Glad you liked it too :)

    If the publisher really isn't picking up the second novel, they're dumb as dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book! I really hope we get more of Kaiden soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good - excited to read it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually really didn't find the cover appealing, so I haven't really checked this book out. But based on your review, it sounds SO GOOD so I may just have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!