Friday, July 20, 2012

Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
Series: Pushing the Limits #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Expected Publication: July 31st, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 384
Goodreads Summary:
So wrong for each other...and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Everyone who has read and loved the Perfect Chemistry series by Simone Elkeles, knows the appeal of a story about the good girl falling in love with the bad boy. Pushing the Limits definitely isn't an exception and delivers a heart-warming story of two people who are scarred - both physically and emotionally - and find out that love might be the cure to make their pain go away. 

More detailed:
Not only did I fall in love with Pushing the Limits' synopsis the first time I read it, but some of my favorite bloggers already read and absolutely loved it before I got around to it. Needless to say, my expectations were pretty high, but luckily every single one of them was met.

The story is told from alternating points of view - Echo's and Noah's. Even though the eARC's format was messed up and didn't make any distinctions between the chapters, within one sentence I knew that a new chapter had started because Katie McGarry gave both of them a very unique voice. Considering how difficult it can be to tell a story from different points of view, I was very impressed with that.

Besides that, I completely loved the rest of Katie's style of writing. Pushing the Limits is impossible to put down, because of Noah and Echo's narrations, but also because of a very addicting and sometimes heart-breaking story line that made me wonder whether there was actually a chance for these two to find their happy ending.

Both, Noah and Echo are amazing characters to listen to. Their lives are anything but easy and both of them have to fight their own demons to build up a life worth living. Together they are a beautiful couple that you can't help but fall in love with and witnessing how they grow closer and figure out their feelings was addicting.

Some secondary characters I loved, too, some I wanted to hate, but they all play their own important role in Pushing the Limits and turn it into one of my favorite reads in 2012 so far. If you are looking for your next summer read with a swoon-worthy (bad) guy and a love story that will ruin you for any real-live-romance, be sure to pick this one up. You won't regret it.

Challenge(s):
YA Contemporary Challenge 2012
Debut Author Challenge 2012






Have you read Pushing the Limits? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

Please leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
Carina

4 comments:

  1. I keep seeing this book everywhere! Guess that means I need to read it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this book. My expectations are absolutely through the roof. Higher than I have ever let expectations get for a book. I mean, I literally don't think there has been one negative review. I don't even know what else to say regarding Pushing the Limits. I will say thank you for pushing my expectations over the top. I can't read another review for this book before I get my hands on it or I may just go nutty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE gritty contemporary romances that reflect the real challenges teens go through today. It's obvious the romance and characters are meaningful and well done!

    Thanks so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying to read this book. It looks awesome. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!