Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines #2
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
First published: June 12th, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 418
Goodreads Summary:
Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
As this series is the spin-off of one of my favorite series, I've been incredibly excited to get to The Golden Lily and luckily didn't end up disappointed. It was another awesome installment, full of mystery and a slow paced but passionate romance that I can't wait to read more of. My hands are already itching for the third book of this series and my heart is craving even more Adrian.

More detailed:
The Bloodlines series couldn't be more different from the Vampire Academy series, but at the same time it couldn't be more similar. Set in the same world with some of our all-time favorite characters, there's not much to miss. But simultaneously we have a completely different main character, who gives this story a very unique feeling and distinguishes both series perfectly.

Sydney is definitely no Rose Hathaway, but she's brave in her own - more modest - way. I absolutely love witnessing her development, which is subtle enough to be believable but still noticable. Her narration is easy to follow and never gets boring, making it easy to keep turning The Golden Lily's pages and never realizing that you're slowly coming to an end.

The other characters are, of course, amazing as well. Every time Adrian made an appearance, I made a small imaginary happy-dance, swooning at his charm and trying to make Sydney see that she likes him more that she wants to admit. But there are still so many other awesome characters that all add their own flavor to the story, so it never gets boring.

Usually I despise slow-paced books, but it works oh-so-well with the Bloodlines series. The things that happen in The Golden Lily are a wonderful progress and make sure that no relationships are rushed, no mysteries solved too easily and that whatever happens stays believable. Nonetheless I can't wait for the future books to find out where Richelle Mead will take these fabulous characters.

All in all, I'm happy that this author never fails to amaze me. Along with the Vampire Academy series, I've now read eight books set in this world and I still can't get enough - and I don't think that I'll ever tire of Moroi, dhampirs and Alchemists (or Adrian). If you haven't read this yet, stop wasting your time reading reviews and buy copies of these books immediately. They're a must-read and The Golden Lily just proved it again.




Have you read The Golden Lily? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

Please leave your thoughts in the comment section below.
Carina

6 comments:

  1. I never got into the Bloodlines series, I wasn't really reading when it came out and not sure if I have time to catch up on the series. Do you think you can read this series without having read Bloodlines ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Golden Lily is part of the Bloodlines series, but maybe you mean to ask whether you can read Bloodlines without having read the Vampire Academy series? And my answer to that question would be yes and no. You get enough explanations in the spin-off series to understand the world it's set in, but I think it's a lot more fun if you've read (and loved) the Vampire Academy series... :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved this book!!!! I finished it in 2 days :D
    My post won't be up until next month but I'm so excited for people to read it!

    Blog: Arianne Cruz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I haven't read the series; I'll give Bloodlines a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Carina! I have this sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to start it. Hopefully I can get to it soon! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Carina! So glad you liked this one. I am a huge fangirl for these books, LOL. I love them so much. Adrian and Sydney are soo adorable! Great review :)

    Have you seen the cover for The Indigo Spell? There is like this mysterious 3rd guy on there that I am really intrigued about because no one knows his identity, yet *bites nails* :D

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!