Friday, June 29, 2012

Review: Flirting in Italian by Lauren Henderson

Flirting in Italian by Lauren Henderson
Series: Flirting in Italian #1
Publisher: Delacorte Books for YR (Random House)
First published: June 12th, 2012
Source: Edelweiss
Format: eARC
Pages: 336
Goodreads Summary:
Four girls. One magical, and possibly dangerous Italian summer. Family mysteries, ancient castles, long hot nights of dancing under the stars . . . and, of course, plenty of gorgeous Italian boys!


My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Where is the second book? After that almost torturous ending I need to know how Violet's story will continue and therefore can't wait to get my greedy little hands on Flirting in Italian's sequel. This was a fun and quite cute story about being away from home for the first time and figuring out mysteries about your own past. Gorgeous guys and hot flirts included.

More detailed:
Following Violet's trip to Italy, where she wants to find out more about a painting of a girl who looks almost exactly like her, Flirting in Italian turned out to be a very cute and refreshing summer read that will brighten your mood instantly. If you don't know what to take to the beach with you, this should be your pick.

I actually expected Flirting in Italian to be a bit more of a mystery since Violet only went to Italy to find out more about that painting and her resemblance to its subject. But especially during the first half, or even two thirds, we were whisked away to the beautiful summer paradise in Italy. Lauren Henderson's beautiful style of writing made me feel like I were part of this group of girls, flirting with these boys and just enjoying a fun summer.

The characters in Flirting in Italian are really diverse and while I loved to hate some of them (especially those "thin-too-thin Itlian girls"), I loved our four protagonists. All of them are so perfectly flawed, which makes it a lot of fun witnessing their interactions. Sadly though, I had a hard time figuring out Violet's love interest, who's one of the hottest guys we meet but also a bit mean from time to time.

All in all, Flirting in Italian delivers on its fun summary and cute cover. While I expected (and actually hoped for) a bit more mystery, it still was quite exciting and raised many questions that I can't wait for to be answered. The wait until its sequel's publication will be a small torture after that slight cliffhanger, but if you're looking for a cute contemporary be sure to add it to your to-read list.

Challenge(s):
YA Contemporary Challenge 2012

Buy the book:
Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository

Have you read Flirting in Italian? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.
Carina

5 comments:

  1. I've seen some mixed reviews for Flirting In Italian today! Glad you enjoyed it, I'll have to rethink my decision of whether or not to pick this up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this but I'm still tempted to read it, especially since there are hot Italian guys in it ;) I think I'll save it for the beach when I need a cute contemp to read!

    Great review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally sounds like the perfect summer read!!!!!! I didn't request this on NetGalley, but I seems like I need to add it back to my TBR list :)) The fact that this is supposed to be a series is just more intriguing because normally those kind of Contemporary cute stories are standalone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually one of the first generally positive reviews I've seen for this book - and it's made me curious about giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I didn't love this one I thought it was cute especially for a fun, mindless summer beach read! I also expected more mystery which is part of my disappointment. Glad you enjoyed it, Carina!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!