Sunday, June 3, 2012

Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen
Series: Nightwatchers #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
First published: May 29th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 348
Goodreads Summary:
I don't do dangerous. Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me...

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Having created an addicting and refreshing angel-demon-lore, Michelle Rowen managed to pull me into the world of Dark Kiss and made it very difficult for me to put away Samantha's story. While there are some aspects that I'm not completely happy about, I really enjoyed the first book of this series and can't wait for its sequel.

More detailed:
After having heard many mixed things about Dark Kiss, I was a bit scared to start it - despite my initial anticipation for it. I'm happy to say that within a few chapters I realized that Michelle Rowen's Nightwatchers series might even become one of my new favorites, in case the second book will be just as good as Dark Kiss.

While I've heard that others had problems connecting with Samantha, I didn't feel similar. She is an easy voice to listen to and I really liked witnessing the story from her point of view. Nonetheless I realized that she can be a somewhat moody character, who changes her attitude faster than believable, so I can understand everyone who can't relate to her.

My favorite character of Dark Kiss is Kraven, who reminds me a little bit of Damon from The Vampire Diaries (the tv-show-version of him since I haven't read the books). While Kraven isn't as evil as Damon was initially portayed like, his behaviour and especially dialogues with him always made me feel like having a déjà vu. I'm really hoping to find out more about him in the next book and I'm even crossing my fingers for a love triangle.

My hope for a love triangle is even more emphasized by the fact that I couldn't really feel the chemistry between Samantha and Bishop. While I really like how complicated their love story is / will be, I couldn't really understand why Sam felt so strongly about Bishop, which is the main reason why I "only" gave this novel four stars.

All in all, I definitely can't wait to continue this series even though there were some aspects I was a little bit skeptical about. Good angel / demon stories are rare, because they're usually full of prejudices and clichés, but Dark Kiss is very refreshing and I can definitely recommend this to everyone who is looking for a new paranormal series to start.

Go here for the first chapter of Dark Kiss.

Have you read Dark Kiss? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

Leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
Carina

3 comments:

  1. I loved Dark Kiss! Great review, by the way! I like how you break things down into first thoughts and then more detail. That's a unique way to do reviews. I agree that it's kind of hard to understand why she liked Bishop so much. Maybe that'll be covered in the next book?

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! New follower :)

    Cierra @ Books Ahoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, interesting review. I need to read this one this week, so am very curious what people think of this one! I have a feeling I won't like it because of the love triangle and I've also heard that Samantha can be annoying at times. But am glad you liked it! hopefully I will. :)

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!