Monday, May 14, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #29

Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

At first I'll be finishing Beckoning Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy, the first book in the Afterglow trilogy. So far I've been enjoying it, although it's not going to be one of my favorite reads. Very creative though!
Goodreads Summary:
As Charlotte steps through the gate, she has a strong feeling that nothing will ever be the same again.

Moving back to South Carolina after three years away, Charlotte knows she's going to have to face people from her past and adjust to a new high school, but she's completely unprepared for what else waits for her in Charleston.

Drawn through an old garden gate, Charlotte discovers a hidden world where she meets Calvin, a boy to whom she is inexplicably attracted. As Charlotte is pulled deeper into this hidden world, it's up to her older brother Kevin to rescue her. No matter how hard Kevin tries, the rescue depends upon Charlotte fighting her intense feelings for Calvin while mastering a set of abilities that she has only just discovered she possesses.

Afterwards I'll be reading the second book of the Afterglow trilogy, Perilous Light, and even though I haven't even finished the first book yet, I'm definitely looking forward to it.
Goodreads Summary:
Would you sacrifice everything for a world you barely knew?

A year has passed since Charlotte and Kevin first stepped
through the gate into Energo and neither has been able to settle back into their normal lives. Charlotte tries to distract herself from thoughts of Calvin with the antics of James and her growing friendship with Liam. Kevin can’t seem to shake his feelings for Samantha as he adjusts to his new identity as a college basketball player.

When they unexpectedly return to Energo, both Charlotte and Kevin must face their fears and become the leaders they were always meant to be.

My third read for this week will be Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell, which sounds like a perfect cute contemporary novel! Can't wait to start reading this!
Goodreads Summary:
Big-hearted Chloe Camden is the queen of her universe until her best friend shreds her reputation and her school counselor axes her junior independent study project. Chloe is forced to take on a meaningful project in order to pass, and so she joins her school’s struggling radio station, where the other students don’t find her too queenly. Ostracized by her former BFs and struggling with her beloved Grams’s mental deterioration, lonely Chloe ends up hosting a call-in show that gets the station much-needed publicity and, in the end, trouble. She also befriends radio techie and loner Duncan Moore, a quiet soul with a romantic heart. On and off the air, Chloe faces her loneliness and helps others find the fun and joy in everyday life. Readers will fall in love with Chloe as she falls in love with the radio station and the misfits who call it home.

And because I'm in an unbelievably optimistic mood while writing this post and because I'm absolutely dying to read Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, I'm adding it to my hopefully-to-read-pile for this week. I have a few days off from uni and even though I should be learning, I'm hoping to get some more reading done as well.
Goodreads Summary:
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?

4 comments:

  1. Love your choices of distractions this week. :) I'm looking forward to reading Of Poseidon within the next week or so. Perilous Light sounds really intriguing, but I'll have to check out the first book.

    I'll be finishing up Underworld by Meg Cabot this week and then starting The Girl of Fire and Thorns since it's finally come in from the library. :)

    Thanks for sharing, Carina, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I think I need to tell you that You HAVE to make room and time for Of Poseidon!! Beckoning Light sounds nice, so I'm eager to hear your thoughs!

    My Distractions? Touched, Until I Die ( I still haven't read it) ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Of Poseidon next! :) And Welcome Caller has been getting mixed opinions I'm curious to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I can't wait to start Of Poseidon! I'm hoping to start it soon. :) Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!