Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cover Comparisons #57: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
(US / UK / AUS / GER)

You can click on each cover to enlarge it and take a closer look.

While the German cover is definitely the most unique in comparison with the rest, it's definitely not my favorite. There's too much going on, which makes it hard to look at and really get a positive feeling about this book.
The cover I like the most is definitely the Australian cover. While I possess a hardcover of the US version and really love it (so shiny and pretty), I absolutely adore the composition of the Australian version. The deep red color of the dress stands out perfectly and would immediately catch my eye in a book store. (Which means I just outed myself as someone who's still fond of girls-in-pretty-dresses-covers even though their amount might get tiring by now.)


Which version do you like best?
  
pollcode.com free polls 









Let me know which cover you voted for and why it is your favorite!
Carina

Edit:
With huge thanks to Sweety, I have to announce that I didn't know that the German cover I featured above is no longer the version they'll actually be publishing. But since the new version is very similar to the Australian cover (which is awesome, because - as I said above - it's my favorite), the above-voting will stay the same.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't know that Unearthly was published in germany. I don't like the rowohlt Cover at all, it somehow looks a little bit ... unnormal to me. The persons face is strange :/ :D

    I really like the US and AUS Cover. I have the US so I'll stick to that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I voted for the UK cover because the model actually looks unearthly! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, du hast vom deutschen Cover die alte Version gezeigt. Das jetzige Cover ist hier zu sehen :)http://www.amazon.de/Unearthly-Dunkle-Flammen-Cynthia-Hand/dp/3499256983/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338486272&sr=8-3-spell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ganz lieben Dank dafür! Hab es in den Post eingebunden. Das passiert, wenn man sich nur einmal die Woche mit deutschen Erscheinungen beschäftigt. :D

      Delete
  4. The Australian cover is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carina, these posts are part of the reason why I did an exchange with a fellow book blogger and she sent me a German paperback version of a book and I sent her a US paperback version of a book, hehe :)

    I love comparing book covers and I have a thing for foreign cover art for books, haha.

    The Australian cover is def the prettiest in this set. I kinda like the UK one, too. Different. And the US is 3rd in it's prettiness (it's the one I have) - which reminds me I have to start it sometime, soon :D

    I do like the drama in the German cover. It's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they're all really good. The AUS one might be my favourite... but I love the UK one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The two in the middle have to be my favorites :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. First! I am so happy that the German one won last time! I loved it!!!
    for Unearthly! I LOVe love LOVE the UK one.. it's my all time favorite! I love the montone colors and the unearthly feeling! The colors from AUS and Germany do not find iwth my view for the book and do not fit to the title... I know there was a fire playing an imporant role..

    But.. I love the UK one... I wish I could hug this lool:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The UK one! I feel that it looks most 'unearthly'. The US one is definitely gorgeous if you see it in person! (I actually got the US one first and went back to the store to trade it for the UK edition so that it matches my UK ver of Hallowed, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't actually vote because I couldn't choose which I liked best, but wow, those are some seriously gorgeous covers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this book :). I went with the US cover because even though I like the AU cover, it just looks to dark and a little creepy to me. I dont think it fits the mood of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All these covers look gorgeous but my favourite is definitely the US cover :) !! Purple rocks !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh nice i Love the GER cover I hadn't see that one! I'm a sucker for red accents!! <3

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!