Thursday, May 17, 2012

Cover Comparisons #55: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
(US / UK / GER)


First of all, I love that all of these covers scream "fantasy novel" to me, making it easy to realize what you would be picking up in a book store. Secondly, I'm totally not sure what my favorite is. To be honest, there are covers out there that are more gorgeous than these, but at the same time they have a special look to them that's unique. Having said that, I think the UK version is my least favorite, because it's the most "usual" one. But I'm having serious troubles deciding whether I prefer the US cover or the German cover. There's something special about both of them and deciding on favouring one of them can only be based on my mood and could therefore change every day. A tie for me.

Which version do you like best?
  
pollcode.com free polls 





Last week's winner is the US cover of The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams.




Carina

11 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely sure about my favorite this week. I really love the German cover - it's different and if I'd see it at a book store it would be really difficult for me to resist buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd go with the German cover.. it's unique and I like the sofness and dreamy feeling.. But none of them totally convince me ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool to see the different covers, thanks for sharing (and I agree about the girl in the dress cover.... NEXT!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when they change the titles around >.< But like you I cannot really decide. They all have something uniquely appealing but neither of them is truly stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much agree with you! Don't like the UK cover.. but love the US cover. <3 one of my favorite covers. :) and the german one is just so stunning :D I loved this book so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. kyaaaaaa! I love the UK cover!! <3 <3 <3 so ingtriguing with the running girl who seems to be escaping I dunno what lol XDDD

    Great pol sweetheart! I never saw the German cover before! I like it too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm torn between the US and the German cover, I voted for German though as it's the most unique. I don't really like the UK cover much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I love the US one because it's so bloody simple and different that what we continuously see in YA!

    Great feature :) I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason the US one just stands out to me, so, yeah...i choose the US one.

    Great pick! =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read this book. I like the US cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo follows Ravka a girl who lives in a fantasy world that has echos of ancient Russia. Ravka is in the Army working as a mapmaker when her best friend is attacked which releases a dormant power that she didn't know she had. She finds out that she's a Grisha one of a group of magic makers and her power is one that can save her country from the darkness that has enveloped it's borders. She's whisked away to the palace to learn to control her powers and finds it's more than she's imagined.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!