Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday #53


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

The Sweetest Dark by Shana Abé
Publisher: Random House
Expected Publication: August 21st, 2012
Pages: 352
Goodreads Summary:
"With every fiber of my being, I yearned to be normal. To glide through my days at Iverson without incident. But I’d have to face the fact that my life was about to unfold in a very, very different way than I’d ever envisioned. Normal would become forever out of reach.”

Lora Jones has always known that she’s different. On the outside, she appears to be an ordinary sixteen-year-old girl. Yet Lora’s been keeping a heartful of secrets: She hears songs that no one else can hear, dreams vividly of smoke and flight, and lives with a mysterious voice inside her that insists she’s far more than what she seems.

England, 1915. Raised in an orphanage in a rough corner of London, Lora quickly learns to hide her unique abilities and avoid attention. Then, much to her surprise, she is selected as the new charity student at Iverson, an elite boarding school on England’s southern coast. Iverson’s eerie, gothic castle is like nothing Lora has ever seen. And the two boys she meets there will open her eyes and forever change her destiny.

Jesse is the school’s groundskeeper—a beautiful boy who recognizes Lora for who and what she truly is. Armand is a darkly handsome and arrogant aristocrat who harbors a few closely guarded secrets of his own. Both hold the answers to her past. One is the key to her future. And both will aim to win her heart. As danger descends upon Iverson, Lora must harness the powers she’s only just begun to understand, or else lose everything she dearly loves.

Filled with lush atmosphere, thrilling romance, and ancient magic, The Sweetest Dark brilliantly captures a rich historical era while unfolding an enchanting love story that defies time.

I already added this to my to-read list when there was only a very short summary, but this long synopsis makes me crave The Sweetest Dark even more. Even though the cover might already be enough reason to want to read this book, I also love the mysterious sound of the summary. And: a love triangle! I'm one of those few people who are not yet sick of them (actually I developed to enjoy them - there was a time when I hated them) and even though this one might sound a bit clichéd (good and bad guy), I can't wait to see what Shana Abé has in store for us.

Edit: I didn't know that this was part of a series (the sixth book to be exact) until one of my readers told me! Wow, the summary clearly makes this sound as a completely new series. Definitely intrigued now... just wondering whether it'd be a problem to only read this one?!

What are you waiting for this Wednesday?
Carina

30 comments:

  1. Not only does the book sound amazing, but it has a gorgeous cover too! It's in my TBR list for sure :)

    Liza’s WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I just posted my WoW, too. *high five* for shared awesomeness :D

    Oh, I am SO adding this to my TBR right now. Loving that cover and I am with you. Though, I do like my breaks from love triangles from time to time, I still love them, LOL. I can't help it. I'm always curious if the protagonist is gonna go for the bad boy or the one who has a heart of gold but is super cute, too :D

    Thanks for sharing, Carina :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great synopsis! Wow!!! I also really love that cover...I am a sucker for book covers with pretty girls in pretty dresses and a pretty girl in a dress that also doubles as a waterfall, well that’s just too good! Thanks for featuring this book this week! I must add it to my TBR list!

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one! I love historical books and I also adore love triangles. The cover is really pretty as well. Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Added on Goodreads asap. Great choice! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    My WOW
    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the cover is amazing! I've not heard of this book before but it look AMAZING! Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. also added
    how did i not know of it lol
    sounds awesome

    my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty cover. <3 But I will not like this book ;) Since I hate love triangles the most in books. Hih :D I hope you'll enjoy it though :)
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cover is gah, stunning! Well, I'm not the biggest fan of love triangles, but I'll suffer my way through this one because this sounds awesome. Excellent choice. :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. New to me! Sounds very interesting. Although not another love triangle! LOL
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree that I'm not totally over love triangles as long as they're well done. And this sounds like it just might!

    Check out my WOW?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds intriguing although I'm one of those people that have started to not like love triangles anymore...

    Here is my WoW: http://tinyurl.com/bun3o2t
    Nickey @ The Book Shop Assistant

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, her dress is so cool. She looks like a cookie! :O

    Patricia // My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. What a GORGEOUS cover! And I love the synopsis! But wait - I see on GR that it's #6 in a series? It sounds like a stand-alone. Could I get away with reading this and not the 5 before?

    At any rate, great pick! :-)

    My WoW: http://blookgirl.com/features/waiting-on-wednesday/135-black-city-by-elizabeth-richards

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't heard about this one, but it sounds really good. Also loving the cover, too.

    *adds to TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to agree, this does sound like a book worth waiting for!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani (GFC follower)
    http://paulettespapers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. The book sounds really good, but I haven´t read the previous books.
    It´s the first time that I heard of it.
    Thanks for visiting My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cover is gorgeous.. I don't know though... I'm one of those that is tired of love triangles.. that cover may make me read it anyways. Goodreads... add to to-read list ✔

    ReplyDelete
  19. i read the author's romance novels in the past and i can't wait to read her YA books.

    my WoW.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! If you didn't tell me, I never would've known that this book was the sixth in a series either -- it sounds like it could be the first! But in a GOOD way. I love the whole historical and steampunkish feel to it, and I'm one of those people who aren't sick of love triangles either! Sometimes they bug me, but most of the time, I LOVE being able to choose between two boys. Although I usually pick the underdog LOL x)

    Awesome pick, Carina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhh I need to add this to my list as well! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I'm totally with you--I thought this was either a standalone or the beginning of a series! I wonder if the novels in the series can be read as standalones or how it works. Guess I'll have to go check out the other 5! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great pick! I hadn't heard of this until now but it sounds really good! And it has such a gorgeous cover as well! Definitely adding it to the TBR list!

    My WoW

    -Brittani :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I wouldn't have guessed after reading that plot summary that this book wasn't actually the first in a series. It sure seems like it is! I haven't heard of the series before, but the cover sure is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OOO, yes, I can't wait for this one, either!! I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh great pick :) !! The cover looks stunning .. and I'm s not tired of love triangles, I love them. I only need for the girl to pick the boy I've rooted for all along, at the end lol !!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've only just heard about this book, definitely keeping my eye on it. Great pick!

    Thanks for stopping by, I hope you're having a fab week. :)

    Agnieszka @ Nook of Books

    ReplyDelete
  28. The summary sounds great! And yep, if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't even have guessed it was part of a series. Maybe it won't be a problem to read alone! :)

    Great choice, Carina <3

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!