Monday, April 9, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #24


Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

At first I plan to finish reading Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers. This is exactly as awesome as all of the reviews have predicted. Love the setting, the writing, the characters - just everything. I have about 30% left as I'm writing this and really hope to finish it today.
Goodreads Summary:
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

Then I'm going to read Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin. I have to admit that it took a while for me to add this book to my to-read list, but with so many bloggers really liking it, I decided to give it a chance. Definitely hoping to like it as much as I've started to expect.
Goodreads Summary:
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.

I'm not really sure yet whether Embrace by Cherie Colyer is really going to be my third read as I'm still waiting for my review copy to arrive (as I'm going to be part of its blog tour), but if I receive it this week, I'll definitely read it. Sounds like a really intriguing story and I've heard good things about it before.
Goodreads Summary:
How far would you go to save the people you love?

Madison is familiar enough with change, and she hates everything about it. Change took her long-term boyfriend away from her. It caused one of her friends to suddenly hate her. It’s responsible for the death of a local along with a host of other mysterious happenings. But when Madison meets a hot new guy, she thinks her luck is about to improve.

Madison is instantly drawn to the handsome and intriguing Isaac Addington. She quickly realizes he’s a guy harboring a secret, but she’s willing to risk the unknown to be with him.

Her world really spins out of control, however, when her best friend becomes delusional, seeing things that aren’t there and desperately trying to escape their evil. When the doctors can’t find the answers, Madison seeks her own.

Nothing can prepare her for what she is about to discover.
Dangerous, intoxicating, and darkly romantic, Embrace is a thriller that will leave you spellbound.

What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?
 

10 comments:

  1. I'm really curious how you'll like "Grave Mercy" and "Masque of the Red Death". I'm especially interested in the latter one, since I really liked how Kelly Creagh worked with Poe's stories in "Nevermore". I hope "Masque of the Red Death" will be similar and as compelling.
    I'm not sure yet what I'm going to read this week. I might start with "Tempest Rising" by Tracy Deebs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about the first two so I'm sure you'll love them :) Have a great week, Carina! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. MASQUE!! So excited to read it too! And I really enjoyed Embrace I'm looking forward to seeing what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First: I love how all of these covers seem to follow a gorgeous red trend LOL -- it's so eye-catching! :) I actually recently finished Grave Mercy and thought it was such a cool book, and I've been meaning to pick up Embrace so I'm excited to read what you think of it. But it's Masque of the Red Death that I'm most excited for! I wasn't so sure at first either, but love from fellow bloggers is always really contagious! x)

    It sounds like your week is full of awesome fictional distractions, Carina! I hope you enjoy every single one! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I loved Grave Mercy. <3 It was really awesome :D Hope you'll end up loving it as well ;) And Masque of the Red Death seems like an awesome book :D Have pre-ordered it ;p but that is only because of the pretty cover, really (A) hih :) Enjoy reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful TBR pile. All sound really intriguing and their covers are gorgeous with the accents of red. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list :) !! I look forward to know what you think of Grave Mercy .. This book sounds amazing !! Happy reading Carina :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm reading right now Silenceby Michelle Sagara West but then I am excited to read Black Swan Book 12 or 13 in the Morganville Vampire series, which I love deeply! Then , the next book probably will be Until I Die!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great trio of books! Grave Mercy and Masque have been on my TBR for ages, so I'm quite interested to see what you think of them. Enjoy and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grave!! Can't wait to see what you think of it. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!