Monday, April 2, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #23


Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

At first I'll finish reading Here by Denise Grover Swank, which I really like so far. If you're a fan of the Immortals series by Alyson Noel, Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz or Fringe (the TV show), I'm sure you'll love this one as well. Very hard to put down!
Goodreads Summary:
Sixteen year old Julia Phillips buries herself in guilt after killing her best friend Monica in a car accident. Julia awoke in the hospital with a broken leg, a new talent for drawing and false memories of the accident, in which she dies and Monica lives. The doctors attribute this to her head injury, but no one can explain how a bracelet engraved with her name ended up at the scene of the accident. A bracelet no one has ever seen before.

Classmate Evan Whittaker paid Julia no attention before the accident, let alone after. Now suddenly he’s volunteering to tutor her and offering to drive her home. She can't ignore that his new obsession started after his two-day disappearance last week and that he wears a pendant she’s been drawing for months. When the police show up one night looking for Evan, he begs Julia to run with him, convincing her that Monica is still alive. Julia agrees to go, never guessing where he’s really from.

After that I'll be reading Jaguar Sun by Martha Bourke. Its blog tour will be stopping by at Fictional Distraction on April 10th and you'll definitely have to check that out. Hoping that I'll enjoy reading this as much as I'm expecting after reading this awesome summary.
Goodreads Summary:
DECEMBER 21, 2012 Will that fateful day destroy our world, or did the Mayans have something else in mind?
Maya Delaney knows. Unfortunately.

Maya Delaney is just an average sixteen-year- old. She’s busy dealing with exams, her soon to be ex-boyfriend and fitting in. But Maya’s got bigger problems. She’s hiding a major secret from her dad and having strange visions she can’t control. In her struggle to figure out who she is, she learns that she is meant to fulfill an ancient Mayan Prophesy and bring forth a New Age on earth. Will the spirit magic Maya wields be enough to defeat Toltec, an evil society bent on keeping her from her destiny? Or will that destiny destroy her?

It's only been on Saturday that I've told you that I can't stop thinking about Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, so I'm really hoping to finally get to my eARC this week. I don't think I've ever read a negative review for this one, so my expectations are pretty high.
Goodreads Summary:
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?

6 comments:

  1. Here by Denise Swank sounds really good! I might have to check this one out!

    Hearing nothing but good things about Grave Mercy! I need to read this one soon.

    I'm reading Destined by Allison Kraft. Its a great book about the Titanic with some Vampires in it! Make sure you check it out!

    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning to raed Grave Mercy soon. I heard its really good. Happy reading Carina. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading Grave Mercy now and so far, so good! I'm about 76 percent done with Monstrous Beauty and it's also great so far.

    Have a great week, Carina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Grave Mercy is just soooo good. <3 Hope you'll get to read it :D And oh, Here looks so awesome :D Hope you enjoy them all ;D And have a nice week :) <3
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESSS, you'll love Grave Mercy! Definitely find time to read it! :)
    I hadn't heard of Here, but I'm loving the sound of it! That cover is great, too!
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaguar Sun sounds like it might be a great read, that was a new to me novel :9 Don't even get me started on Grave Mercy OMG how I want to read it ;)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!