Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cover Comparisons #52: Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick


Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



Last week's winner is the UK cover of Wings by Aprilynne Pike.




Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick
(US / UK / GER)


I can start this by saying that I don't like the US cover... at all. It's weird and it has never appealed to me nor will I probably ever start to like it. I'm a bit on the fence when it comes the UK and German versions. I definitely prefer the colors of the German cover, but overall the UK cover appeals to me a bit more, especially since the German version looks a little bit usual, not really unique.


Which version do you like best?
  
pollcode.com free polls 



Carina

11 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I don't really like any of the covers. The US cover looks so freaky, while both the UK and the German cover don't really fit to the story. Whereas the UK cover looks more like a 2nd World War novel, the German one makes me think of a story like Twilight.
    Nevertheless, I think out of those three the German cover is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I don't like the US cover either. It may give the creep factor, but it's just weird, as you said. I think the German version is my favorite! Like you, I think the colors are great and her eye kind of alludes to something not being... quite right.

    I love this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never liked the US cover, but the redesigned US cover I do like! My favorite of the three is definitely the German version. I love the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I like the new US cover best:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh btw, did you see the new US cover? It's actually pretty cool!
    But, I still ADORE the German cover so so oo much! The colors and the girl and the birds, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I complain about covers that are just pretty faces I picked the German edition. It's generic but I love the colours and the emotions it's showing with such a subtle expression from the model. As well the text style, I love the text style here for the title. The author's name not so much, it's hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say either the US or German one... Hm! The US one is so CREEPY and I admit that does make me curious. But the German is pretty AND keeping some of the creepy. Gosh, it's too hard! LOL. It's either or with these! Maybe... US. o:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the new US cover, but I still don't think they've been able to capture the utter creepiness and awesomeness that is the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't decide. I love the mysteriousness of the USA cover, but the UK one looks better when it's in your hand. I like the German on but I don't think it fits with the story.

    I think I pick USA, this one would make me want to pick it up straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The US version scares me! I vote for the UK cover. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!