Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review: My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #2
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
First published: December 29th, 2009
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 279
Goodreads Summary:
When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.

Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk….
This review might include spoilers if you haven't read the first book of this series.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
After having fallen in love with the first book of this series, I'm glad that My Soul to Save lived up to my expectations and provided some more insight into a few paranormal aspects of Rachel Vincent's world. This is a very exciting sequel and I can't wait to see how Kaylee's story will continue after the things she experienced.

More detailed:
My Soul to Save is a great sequel in a series that is very quickly developing to become one of my favorites. Kaylee's world is very addictive and I'm greedily absorbing every new detail that Rachel Vincent is imposing on her readers with every page of her well written novels.

In My Soul to Save we get to learn a lot more about the Netherworld and at the same time it's not enough for me to be content. I want to know more - in a very positive way. Rachel Vincent pulls me into this world she created and I'm sad whenever a new story ends and I have to return to reality. Kaylee starts to realize that she's living in a scary place, but just like me she wants to know more and I can't wait for her to find answers.

I'm still very much in love with the characters of the Soul Screamers series. Kaylee and Nash's relationship is developing and rarely leaves me wanting more, but at the same time I'd love to find out even more about Tod. In My Soul to Save we get to see a different side of him which I really love and I'm really developing a weakness for him. Again I'm hoping that he'll play an even more important role in the third novel.

At the moment I'm not completely sure what might happen in My Soul to Save's sequels, but since I've been very happy with this series' gradual world-builing and character-development so far, I'm expecting to find out a lot of interesting things. All in all, I can just say how much I have fallen in love with this series and would love to recommend it to everyone who loves paranormal YA novels.

Challenge(s):
Soul Screamers Reading Challenge

Books in this series:

My Soul To Lose (#0.5, my review) | My Soul To Take (#1, my review) | My Soul To Save (#2)
My Soul to Keep
(#3) | Reaper (#3.5) | My Soul to Steal (#4)
If I Die
(#5) | Never To Sleep (#5.5) | Before I Wake (#6, June 2012)

Have you read any books in the Soul Screamers series already? What did you think about them?
Do you plan to read this series?
Carina

6 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed the first book in the series. I'm so going to read the second book! (plus the side stories). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'Ve heard this series has excellent characters which is the main reason I want to read it I have book 1 at home I just have to make time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!! I'm so happy that you're reading this series because it is DEFINITELY one of my all-time favourites! <3 :) I love the world that Rachel Vincent created too. You can honestly say that there isn't another one like it, and her originality and awesome writing leaves you wanting more for sure! Plus, like you, I'd been developing a weakness for Tod since the beginning. I can't wait to find out what you think of him later on! ;)

    (That may or may not be a hint.)

    Amazing review, Carina! I really hope you love later installments of the series just as much as this second one! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this series! It's one that has been on my to-read list for quite awhile but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. I can't wait though, everyone seems to love it! :)

    ♥ Sarah @ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book sitting on my shelf and now I feel like starting it immediately. I have to get to my review copies first, but then it will be The Soul Screamer series I pick up:) Thanks for your great review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to try this series, but I just haven't had the chance yet. I'm so glad the sequel is just as awesome as the first book! It's so nice when that happens. :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!