Friday, March 2, 2012

Review: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
First published: February 14th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 272
Goodreads Summary:
Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
I'm really happy that I gave Graffiti Moon a chance. While I was afraid that I might end up not liking it, it turned out to be a wonderful surprise. This novel is beautifully written, with characters whose stories will capture your heart and whose love for art will make you want to be part of their world and to experience what they are.

More detailed:
After having read the summary, I expected Graffiti Moon to be similar to Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, which I sadly couldn't warm up to. But I still wanted to give it a chance and Graffiti Moon turned out to be exactly what I expected Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist to be like: a heart-warming story about searching and finding love. 

The story is told from both Lucy and Ed's point of view. I love such books because it gives you insight in more than just one character's thoughts and makes it a lot easier to understand someone's behaviour. And in Graffiti Moon this narration is done very well. I could understand both characters and relate to them and their thoughts, hopes and wishes.

Ed and Lucy's night is one full of adventures and I loved witnessing how they get used to their situation and grow comfortable with each other. Their search for Shadow is amusing and exciting, and while, as a reader, you already know everything about Shadow, I loved the moment in which the secrets are finally revealed.

I also fell in love with Cath Crowley's writing. This is a book about art and appreciating its beauty and meaning. Even without seeing any of Shadow's works, I had no problems imagining them right in front of me and could almost "see" what Lucy and Ed were seeing. And their feelings for the images and for each other were expressed just as beautifully.

The only thing that I might not like was the somewhat abrupt ending. I would have liked to see more of the final scenes, would have loved them to be a little bit more elaborate. But all in all, I can definitely recommend Graffiti Moon for everyone who wants to read about a beautiful journey to love and (self-)acceptance.

Challenge(s):
YA Contemporary Challenge 2012

Interesting links (Cath Crowley):
Twitter | Goodreads | Website

Have you read Graffiti Moon? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

5 comments:

  1. Lovely review Carina I just read this one not long ago too and I really enjoyed it. I didn't think I would bc I'm not an artsy person. I agree it was easy to visualize the art, it would have been awesome to have pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the ending was somewhat abrupt but I really loved this one anyway. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it as well. The writing was just beautiful and I loved the relationship between Ed and Lucy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I really should give this one a chance! If the writing is so good I might actually like it :)
    Nice review!


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I read this one! It has one of the most beautifully written prose I've ever read. The whole book was like art put into words! I admit I would have liked the book to be longer (it all happens in only one night!), but I liked nonetheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review Lovely! I'm so glad you liked it. It's been on my wishlist for a while now so hopefully I'll get around to buying it one day. lol ~ Donna

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!