Monday, March 19, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #21


Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

Last week turned out to be more hectic / stressful than expected, so I didn't get as much reading as I had hoped for. Therefore I still have to read two of last week's distractions and I'll start that by finishing Heaven by Christoph Marzi. So far I'm not really sure what to think about it, because I'm having a hard time to connect with the characters. Besides that, I love the story idea, so I hope I'll love the characters, too.
Goodreads Summary:
The night that Heaven lost her heart was cold and moonless. But the blade that sliced it out was warm with her dark blood...

David Pettyfer is taking a shortcut over the dark rooftops of London's brooding houses, when he literally stumbles across Heaven: a strange, beautiful, distraught girl who says that bad men have stolen her heart. Yet she's still alive...

And so begins David and Heaven's wild, exciting and mysterious adventure - to find Heaven's heart, and to discover the incredible truth about her origins.

Part thriller, part love story and part fairy tale, this brilliantly original novel from a bestselling German author will take your breath away...

Then I'm planning to (finally) read Goddess Interrupted by Aimée Carter and I might even get a Kindle copy of the novella (#1.5) The Goddess Hunt before starting this one. I can't wait to find out how Kate's story will continue and while I've heard a few mixed things about The Goddess Test's sequel, I'm looking forward to it a lot.
Goodreads Summary:
Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.

I'm also hoping that this week won't be as hectic as the last one, so I might even get to Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truitt. I've wanted to read this ever since I've first seen the summary, so I can't wait to get into it. 
Goodreads Summary:
What if you were mankind’s last chance at survival?

Sixteen-year-old Tess lives in a compound in what was once the Western United States, now decimated after a devastating fourth World War. But long before that, life as we knew it had been irrevocably changed, as women mysteriously lost the ability to bring forth life. Faced with the extinction of the human race, the government began the Council of Creators, meant to search out alternative methods of creating life. The resulting artificial human beings, or Chosen Ones, were extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly.

Life is bleak, but uncomplicated for Tess as she follows the rigid rules of her dystopian society, until the day she begins work at Templeton, the training facility for newly created Chosen Ones. There, she meets James, a Chosen One whose odd love of music and reading rivals only her own. The attraction between the two is immediate in its intensity—and overwhelming in its danger.

But there is more to the goings-on at Templeton than Tess ever knew, and as the veil is lifted from her eyes, she uncovers a dark underground movement bent not on taking down the Chosen Ones, but the Council itself. Will Tess be able to stand up to those who would oppress her, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?

What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?
FICTIONAL DISTRACTION has now joined Linky Followers. You can find the widget in the sidebar and follow this blog this way as well.

5 comments:

  1. You really should read Chosen Ones :D Cannot wait to read that one. <3 This week I'll be reading Above :D Probably more books; but that one first ;) Enjoy reading :D
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Chosen Ones I'm excited to read it I hope you love it!! Heaven also sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually reading Goddess Interrupted this week too! Not sure if I'm liking it at the moment but I'm hoping it gets better :S

    SOO jealous that you have Chosen Ones to read! I've been seeing it around a lot and it sounds absolutely amazing! As does Heaven, though whenever I look at the cover I still find it kind of creepy haha! A shame that it's hard to connect with the characters though, I find that's one of the most important parts to the making of a good book. Hope the other two books you read will be a lot better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All seem like really great reads. Dying to read Goddess Interrupted. Need to get started on that series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to finish Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz today and then start with The Goddess Test and Goddess Interrupted.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!