Monday, March 5, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #19


Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

When I started this last week, I didn't really expect Illuminate by Aimee Agresti to be this long (500+ pages), so I'm a little bit behind with my reading. But it turns out that I don't mind it at all, because Illuminate is absolutely awesome. I love it and I love spending my time with it.
Goodreads Summary:
Haven Terra is a brainy, shy high school outcast. But everything begins to change when she turns sixteen. Along with her best friend Dante and their quiet and brilliant classmate Lance, she is awarded a prestigious internship in the big city— Chicago—and is sent to live and work at a swanky and stylish hotel under the watchful eyes of a group of gorgeous and shockingly young-looking strangers: powerful and alluring hotel owner Aurelia Brown; her second-in-command, the dashing Lucian Grove; and their stunning but aloof staff of glamazons called The Outfit.

As Haven begins falling for Lucian, she discovers that these beautiful people are not quite what they seem. With the help of a mysterious book, she uncovers a network of secret passageways from the hotel’s jazz-age past that leads her to the heart of the evil agenda of Aurelia and company: they’re in the business of buying souls. Will they succeed in wooing Haven to join them in their recruitment efforts, or will she be able to thwart this devilish set’s plans to take the souls of her classmates on prom night at the hotel?

Illuminate is an exciting saga of a teen’s first taste of independence, her experience in the lap of luxury, and her discovery she may possess strength greater than she ever knew.

Then, of course, I'll also still need to read The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis which I've been excited to get into for a while now. It sounds like a really interesting and unique read, so I can't wait to find out whether it's as awesome as it sounds.
Goodreads Summary:
Anna and Abel couldn’t be more different. They are both seventeen and in their last year of school, but while Anna lives in a nice old town house and comes from a well-to-do family, Abel, the school drug dealer, lives in a big, prisonlike tower block at the edge of town. Anna is afraid of him until she realizes that he is caring for his six-year-old sister on his own. Fascinated, Anna follows the two and listens as Abel tells little Micha the story of a tiny queen assailed by dark forces. It’s a beautiful fairy tale that Anna comes to see has a basis in reality. Abel is in real danger of losing Micha to their abusive father and to his own inability to make ends meet. Anna gradually falls in love with Abel, but when his “enemies” begin to turn up dead, she fears she has fallen for a murderer. Has she?

Award-winning author Antonia Michaelis moves in a bold new direction with her latest novel: a dark, haunting, contemporary story that is part mystery, part romance, and part melodrama.

And since it's March, which is dedicated to the Review Copy Cleanup, I'll try to read another review book as well: My Enchanted Life by Laura Eno. Really looking forward to this.
Goodreads Summary:
An American teen finds herself thrust into a world she never knew existed in England's magical community of Wode Gate. While dealing with gnomes, a cranky dragon, murder and mayhem, Emma tries to cope with her unwanted duties as Sentinel and fights to get back home again.
She finds that things aren't always what they seem, people aren't who they pretend to be, and someone wants her dead. The king of the underworld wants her too, but he may be the least of her problems as Emma struggles to control her powers—while losing her heart to a demon.

What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?
 

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you think of Illuminate! I've seen some mixed reviews so far, so I would love to see your thoughts. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Illuminate although I couldn't get into it at first and with it being over 500 pages I was put off even more but once you get over them its quite charming. I really want to read The Storyteller it looks so good. Hope you enjoy your week of reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still deciding whether to read Illuminate... so I guess I'll be waiting for your review! I hope you get to read all these books you've planned :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Illuminate. I had an e-book and didn't realize how long it was and read it in a sections. It really has its merits

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!