Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cover Comparisons #45: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



Last week's winner is the US hardback cover of Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick.





Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
(US / UK / GER)


Maybe I should start by saying which cover I would not pick up in a book store: the UK version. While I like how they tried to portray the characters as close to their description as possible, I just think it's weird - pink reminds me of happy / funny contemporary novels, not a dystopian like Under the Never Sky.
Sadly I'm having a very hard time to choose between the US and the German cover. I always loved the US cover (and have a pretty hardcover copy of it on my shelf which I love to stare at - yes, I'm weird like that), but when I saw the German cover in my local book store, I fell in love with it immediately, too. It doesn't reflect the story / world as good as the US cover, but the colors and the illustration are so, so gorgeous.
Which version do you like best?
  
pollcode.com free polls 



Carina


8 comments:

  1. I prefer the US one - it's just stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the US one as well! It's seriously gorgeous. Then the German one is definitely a close second--it's very pretty! The UK one is just kinda... ugly sadly! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The US one is just perfect and reflects the story incredibly perfect! But, the German one is so pretty too! I love the illustrations and the cover draws you in...
    I agree on the UK one., ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaah, why do you do this to me? I love all of them! Well, yeah, maybe the UK not so much (I'd have preferred real people). I choose US, but the German is gorgeous, too <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally I'm all for the US one. I think it hits the mark completely :)

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  6. The US one! The UK cover is... *no offense* kiddish. I like the colour schemes for the German version though.

    - Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW! thanks to your posts my dear, I;ve realize that German cover are getting nicer and nicer! US covers are definitely getting a great competition!! beautiful!! thnx so much for sharing my sweet ^.^ muah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I agree about the UK version and it's a close call for me between the US and German covers. If I had to pick one, the US version.

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!