Thursday, March 29, 2012

Author Interview: Wendy Higgins (Sweet Evil)

Today I'm so happy to welcome Wendy Higgins, author of the upcoming YA paranormal novel Sweet Evil, on Fictional Distraction. Wendy has been so kind to answer a few questions for us, some of them about the book that I've been dying to read so badly. Thank you so much, Wendy, for your time!
Goodreads Summary of Sweet Evil:
What if there were teens whose lives depended on being bad influences? This is life for sons and daughters of fallen angels in Sweet Evil.
Tenderhearted Southern girl, Anna Whitt, was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage, and her will-power is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

A cross-country trip to meet her father forces Anna to face the reality that hope and love are not options for her kind. When she confronts her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


For all these Twitter-fanatics out there: Try to describe yourself in 140 characters.

A wife & a mother, a romantic & a daydreamer, sensitive & spiritual, believer in hope & love. Can also be a paranoid, impatient worry-wart.


While there are a few lucky ones who already got to read Sweet Evil, what would you like to tell those who are waiting for its release? What should they expect and whom would you recommend it to?

It’s almost here!!! I would recommend it to open-minded, mature readers who enjoy dark love stories.


What can you tell us about Sweet Evil’s characters? Are some of their traits based on people you know – or maybe even yourself?

There may be small pieces of myself and other people I know in my characters, but none of that was intentional. I set out to make them uniquely their own. Anna is the ultimate good girl, both because of her nature and the way she was nurtured, and Kaidan is the ultimate bad boy…for the same reasons.


What was your favorite part of writing Sweet Evil? What was the hardest part?

My favorite part was writing the tension between Anna and Kaidan, building it up to those few precious moments of sweet release. The hardest part was trying to get the plot right. I did a lot of revising.


As I read on your website, it was Inkpop.com that not only helped you edit Sweet Evil, but also to publish it. How would you describe your experience with this community? Would you recommend your way to becoming a published author to other aspiring writers? Or do you have any other advice for them?

I definitely recommend online writing communities to aspiring writers, both for the feedback and the support offered by other writers. It’s a must! Inkpop no longer exists, so unfortunately the possibility of publication through that means has ended, but writers should keep their eyes open for contests and such. Dreams can come true in the most untraditional ways. You never know. :) And my best advice is to write what’s on your heart - whatever story is nagging you, no matter what anyone might think, and don’t be discouraged by rejection. It’s part of the process.


Do you have favorite authors that inspired you and influenced your writing? Which books do you usually prefer to read and would recommend to everyone?

I don’t know if I was necessarily inspired by any particular author. But I definitely have faves. I love Richelle Mead’s work, and I’d highly recommend her Vampire Academy series.


Despite dealing with the lives of teenagers, many people from various age groups love the Young Adult genre. What made you decide to write a YA novel and what do you like most about this genre?

I think the YA genre has raised the bar for writers. Lovers of YA, both adult and teens, are a very vocal readership--they tire easily of clichés and storytelling that does not meet their standards. But they’re also an avid, excited group of readers and their love of books is contagious.
Many adults, such as myself, are drawn to YA because we remember what it was like to be a young adult and it’s fun to live those moments of self-discovery all over again.


And one last question just for fun: If you could live in any fictional world for one day, which one would that be?

Wow, so many awesome choices. But I think I’d love to live in the magical world of Harry Potter and Hogwarts if I could. Oh, to have a magic wand to clean my house…*sigh*


Add Sweet Evil to your Goodreads shelf.
Find Wendy Higgins on Twitter.
Pre-order Sweet Evil: TBD | Amazon | B&N


Are you as excited for Sweet Evil as I am? 
Carina

6 comments:

  1. OMG! I just finished this one and it is just so amazingly good! I adored it SO FREAKING MUCH!!!

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read Sweet Evil! Ever since I first saw the cover and read thy blurb I was dying to get my hands on it. What a lovely Interview, I absolutely loved this answer: "I would recommend it to open-minded, mature readers who enjoy dark love stories." Yep, *raises hand* I guess that would be me!!!
    :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SUPER excited for Sweet Evil and what a fantastic interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eee super excited to read this I read a couple of reviews yesterday that rocked my socks off! I'm definitely open-minded and mature... well ok maybe less mature but still! Baha Great interview dollface!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really excited about Sweet Evil. The combination of the cover and the summary... Now I'm hoping the book is just as awesome as it sounds!

    I really liked the interview! Really well thought questions and awesome answers -- what more can I wish for? :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!