Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Short Story Review: First Frost by Jennifer Estep

First Frost by Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy #0.5
Publisher: Kensington
First published: July 1st, 2011
Source: Bought
Format: .mobi (Kindle)
Goodreads Summary:
I am Gwen Frost, and I have a Gypsy gift. It's called psychometry - that's a fancy way of saying that I see images in my head and get flashes of other people's memories off almost everything I touch, even guys.

My gift makes me kind of nosy. Okay, okay, maybe a lot nosy--to the point of obsession sometimes. I want to know everything about everyone around me. But even I don't want to know the secrets my friend Paige is hiding or the terrible loss that will send me to a new school - Mythos Academy, where the teachers aren't preparing us for the SATs, but to battle Reapers of Chaos. Now I have no friends and no idea how my gift fits in with all these warrior whiz kids. The only thing I do know is that my life is never, ever going to be the same...

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
What I love about prequel novellas like First Frost is the fact that they're giving you a glimpse into a new world, which helps you to decide whether this series might be something for you. But I don't like not being able to pick up the first book of a series immediately afterward, when I really enjoyed that novella - and that's exactly the case with First Frost.

We meet Gwen Frost and her extraordinary "Gypsy gift". I loved being explained so much about a main character's gift so soon and while I expect that there are still a few secrets surrounding this, it's refreshing to already somewhat know what kind of supernatural elements you will be confronted with.

Like Gwen, we are also introduced to Mythos Academy, a boarding school she is supposed to go to. I know that for some people the boarding-school-setting is used a bit too much, but I always love it and I'm really looking forward to find out more about this mysterious place. We have also met a few other characters that I can't wait to see again.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to start Touch of Frost, the first book of this series, after reading First Frost. If you're unsure about whether you want to read this series, pick up the prequel novella and you'll probably want to get the other books immediately afterward. I'm really hoping to be able to squeeze Touch of Frost into my reading schedule very soon.

Books in this series:

First Frost (#0.5)
Touch of Frost (#1)
Kiss of Frost (#2)
Dark Frost (#3, May 29th, 2012)
Crimson Frost (#4, January 2013)

Have you read First Frost / this series? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

11 comments:

  1. Oh I'm starting Touch of Frost soon since I grabbed book 3 on NG and i Want them read for that one's release date. I didn't know about this one! I'll try to read it before starting the series! I also like that it gives you a little boost into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really interesting! I'd love to learn more about the gift and more about Mythos Academy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it. I really loved this and Touch of Frost. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, if I didn't already want to start this series, your review would've definitely sold me! I love stories of supernaturals that are refreshing and I love books that are set in boarding schools too, so both of those add up to automatic awesomeness! :) Plus, the whole Gypsy thing is really cool!

    Awesome review, Carina! And thanks so much for telling me about the prequel novella -- I had no idea about it before, but I'll definitely pick it up first now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! I haven't started this series yet, but, after reading your review, I can't wait! Thank you for posting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! This short story answered a few questions I had about this series. Love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear, I havent read any of these books! but, like you, I should totally start with this one! =D You just gave me that little push that convinced me I have to pick up these books soon! =9 plus, Jennifer Estep is pretty well acclaimed in her adult UF series!! Wow, why have I not read these books?

    great review my dear! you totally push me towards the right directions! always!! muah!!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you can read Touch of Frost soon! I hope to be able to read it ASAP myself. I keep hearing wonderful things about the series and can't wait to see how it is! So glad you liked the prequel:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to start this series and this is a reason why I should :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the first two books for this series sitting on my shelf! I wasn't aware that there was a novella available. I will definitely have to check this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. I have been eying Touch of Frost for the longest. I'm hoping to read book 1 in this series.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!