Saturday, February 18, 2012

Review: Titan Magic by Jodi Lamm

Titan Magic by Jodi Lamm
Publisher: Self-Published
First published: September 30th, 2011
Source: Received from author
Format: .mobi (Kindle)
Goodreads Summary:
Mute, heartless, and tormented by auditory hallucinations, Madeleine Lavoie never questions why her family has hidden her from the world. But the night her brother casts her out, she learns the mysterious voice she thought existed only in her mind is no delusion, and no matter how hard she tries, she can never disobey it.

Now Madeleine must find her own voice in a cacophony of powerful tyrants, monsters, and gods. If she fails, she will forfeit her life and the lives of everyone who loves her. But if she succeeds, she may finally gain the ability to love someone in return.

My Rating: 3.5 / 5

First thoughts:
If you're looking for a truly unique YA novel, stop searching and pick up Titan Magic. Its fairytale-like world surprised and fascinated me. I really hope that this wasn't the last we've seen of Madeleine and her adventures. While it took a while for me to get into the story, I soon started to really enjoy it and hoped to find out more about this special world.

More detailed:
When I started it, I didn't really know what to expect from Titan Magic but I was surprised by it nonetheless. The things Madeleine finds out about herself sometimes confused me, but I also grew quite fond of her and always hoped that everything would become better for her. She is a very strong character, but still reacts reasonably to some discoveries and situations at the same time.

At first I found it difficult to get into the story as it took a while to be able to really identify with Maddy. At the same time I wasn't too familiar with the mythology used in Titan Magic and needed some time to get comfortable with it. But once I got used to it, I started to really enjoy this novel and could appreciate the unique premise.

The other characters we encounter are very diverse. None of them are similar to each other and every single one is important for the storyline. While I love Will and Jas, I never really could warm up to Marcus or Eli - but I wouldn't want to miss any of them, because each of them contributes very significant things to the story.

I'm really looking forward to find out more about Madeleine's story, because - even though some parts of the ending were really enjoyable - I was left hanging a little bit and I'm curious to see what will happen now. It almost feels as though Titan Magic was only an introduction and that the "real story" will begin now with that ending.

All in all, I really liked Titan Magic, especially for it unusual premise and the diversity of characters. Like I said above, you should definitely pick up a copy of this, when you're looking for something completely different than any usual YA novel.

Find Jodi online:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter
First chapter of Titan Magic

Have you read Titan Magic? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've heard a few things about this novel, and I'm really curious now. Plus, I really like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard about Titan Magic before, but it seems like a nice read! I love mythology so that's really a plus.
    Thanks for reviewing it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review Carina I found the mythology a bit strange too it was hard to grasp at first but the plot is still intriguing. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't remember the ending though so I don't recall if it left me hanging or not. I have such a bad memory >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you liked it Carina. I'm definitely intrigued by the mythology; it sounds quite different. It sucks you felt you were left hanging, but hopefully the next one will make up for things!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!