Friday, February 10, 2012

Review: Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey

Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Walker Children's Books (Bloomsbury)
First published: January 17th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 288
Goodreads Summary:
For seventeen years, Eloise Hart had no idea the world of Faery even existed. Now she has been abducted and trapped in the Rath of Lord Strahan, King of Faery. Strahan was only meant to rule for seven years, as Faery tradition dictates, and then give up his crown to another. But he won't comply, and now chaos threatens both worlds.

The only one who can break his stranglehold on the Faery court is his wife. . . Eloise's aunt Antonia. Using Eloise to lure Antonia, Strahan captures his wife, desperate to end the only threat to his reign. Now Eloise must become the rescuer. Together with her best friends Jo and Devin, she must forge alliances with other Fae, including a gorgeous protector named Lucas, and Strahan's mysterious son, Eldric-who may or may not betray them.

My Rating: 3.5 / 5

First thoughts:
This is a very intriguing fae story that definitely made me want to read more of Alyxandra Harvey's books. While I would have loved for the world building to be a little bit more elaborate and had a few little problems to connect with some characters, I definitely enjoyed this novel and can recommend this for people who want to read a bewitching story about faeries.

More detailed:
Since I've heard many good things about Alyxandra Harvey's books, I was really looking forward to read Stolen Away. And while it's not necessarily going to become one of my favorite novels, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can definitely imagine reading more of her novels. Despite being very busy during the time I read it, it was easy to remember the storyline and to get back into it.

The story is told from two different points of view - Eloise and Jo. While Eloise is the "real" main character of Stolen Away and I thought her story to be very interesting, I definitely preferred reading Jo's narrations. Especially her love story was a lot more intriguing, although that might be because of my unexplainable weakness for the bad guys.

I have to admit that I was a little bit indifferent to some characters' fates which is one of the very few reasons why I didn't rate this book higher. Somehow I couldn't connect with most of them and even though I was hoping for a happy ending, I would not have been devastated without it.

I also had hoped for the faerie world to be a little bit more magical. While I might be biased after having read the amazingly creative and unique Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, I felt as though this world was lacking some more explanations. I could definitely see a high potential and loved the basic idea of Alyxandra Harvey's faeries, but in comparison to other fae novels, I missed something special.

But all in all, I definitely enjoyed Stolen Away and can recommend it for everyone who is looking for an easy and fast paranormal read or who wants to try reading a faerie story which is not as complex as most of the others.

Alyxandra Harvey online:
Goodreads | Website | Twitter

Have you read Stolen Away? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

5 comments:

  1. I'm planning on reading this one soon. It sounded intriguing to me off the bat, and I'm curious to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about this one --- not sure if I'll pick it up right away, though. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review Carina I got this one off NG but I've been a bit wary. The reviews are only so-so and I'm already not a huge fan of Faeries so I may just skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review hun! I'm a huge fan of this author works especially her Drake series but this for me....ummm...yeah I agree with what you said. The story started far too quickly but nonetheless still enjoyable. ~ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks you felt it was missing a bit compared to other Fey novels, but I'm glad you still enjoyed it! I admit I'm definitely curious about it, but I'm not sure. I'll probably focus on The Iron Fey, which I have waiting already to feed my Fey need. I can't believe how new I am to the genre! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!