Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Review: Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald
Publisher: Candlewick Press
First published: January 24th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 336
Goodreads Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly onesided. The object of her obsession - ahem, affection - is her best friend, Garrett Delaney, who has been oblivious to Sadie's feelings ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust (not to mention his deep-blue eyes). For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett's constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock - all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder - until he calls to say he's fallen in love. With some other girl!

A heartbroken Sadie realizes that she's finally had enough. It's time for total Garrett detox! Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including the hunky chef, Josh), and a customized selfhelp guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, mortifying meltdowns, and a double shot of love.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
This is such a refreshing and cute read which addresses a very important topic at the same time: unrequited love and the things we can be willing to do to make other people love us. I fell in love with this book very fast and can recommend it for everyone who loves contemporary YA romance. If you're looking for a unconventional love story, this could be the right one for you.

More detailed:
Getting Over Garrett Delaney is a wonderful story which shows us the pain of unrequited love. I think almost everyone has felt this already, but the main character Sadie has taken her love for Garrett to a whole new level. She has become the person she thinks he could fall in love with, but nonetheless she is still waiting for him to realize that they're perfect for each other.

I loved how Sadie starts to realize how much her world only revolved around Garrett. She makes some very disconcerting discovieries about herself and the life she has led, but instead of giving up, she decides to fight. Sadie is a wonderful and very relatable main character and while reading I felt as though I was living her story.

The people she meets while trying to get over Garrett are wonderful. LuAnn, Kayla, Dominique and especially Josh are amazing characters and I'd love to spend some time with them as well. Each of them is unique and although they are "just" secondary characters, you can really see how they're developing during the novel and are inspired by Sadie's new attitude towards life.

All in all, Getting Over Garrett Delaney is a heartfelt and beautiful contemporary novel. I didn't like it as much as Anna and the French Kiss, but it's very close - and I'm sure that everyone who loves Stephanie Perkins' books will like this one as well. Unrequited love hurts, but Sadie has found a wonderful way to cope with it and I would love to know how her story continues.

Challenge(s):
YA Contemporary Challenge 2012

Abby McDonald online:

Goodreads | Website
Read the first chapter of Getting Over Garrett Delaney

Have you read Getting Over Garrett Delaney? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

17 comments:

  1. Awww I want to read this one. I've been reading zombie and dystopian books lately I need a good contemp to change the pace soon O_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this sounds really cute! I'm starting to pick up more contemps these days. Going to have to add this one to my ever-growing pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, if this is very close to Anna and the French Kiss, I will definitely have to check it out. :) It sounds like a really good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to read this, but decided at the last minute I couldn't afford to pre-order it at the time. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! It did sound like a fantastic fun read and I can't wait to pick it up eventually!

    Great Review!
    -Kate
    Nomalicious Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read it but it got my attention a while ago. This just screams a nice, fluffy and no-deep-feelings-attached read. And if it's close to Anna and the French Kiss, then I definitely have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking about checking this out. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It sounds like a good read.

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been mooning over this cover but haven't been able to decide if the story would be worth it! Thank you so much for convincing me with your amazing review!! I'm going to order it in my next book order!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reallу when someone dοesn't understand after that its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it occurs.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog :: get cash for surveys real

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ѕwеet blog! I fοund it whіle searchіng on Yahοo News.
    Do уou have any suggеstions οn how to
    get listed іn Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers

    Also visit my weblog ... article submitter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, amazing blog layout! Ηow long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look eаsy. The overall lοok οf your
    website іs excellent, let alone the cоntent!


    Alsο visit my blοg post: footprints for no hands seo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, for all time i usеd to check ωebpage pοsts hеre early іn the brеak
    of day, for the reason that i love tο gain knoωledge of moгe and morе.


    Visit my blog :: dry skin exfoliator

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ѕuperb, what а wеbsitе іt is!
    Thіѕ web sitе giνes useful data tо us, κeeρ it uр.


    Look into mу wеb page link

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heya i am for the fіrѕt time hеre.
    I found this boаrԁ and Ι find Ӏt really useful & it helpеd me out a lot.
    ӏ hοрe to givе sοmething bacκ and aiԁ otheгs like yοu аided me.


    Lоok at my page :: get cash for surveys real

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there friends, pleasant ρaragraph аnd gοοd urging сommenteԁ at this plаce, Ι аm in fact enјoying by these.


    Here is my ωeb pаgе - gscraper blackhat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Τoday, I wеnt tο the beаchfront ωith my
    children. I found a sea shell and gaνe it to my 4 yeаr old ԁaughter and saіd "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She plаced the shell
    to her eаr anԁ screamеd. There was a hermit crab insidе and
    іt pіnсheԁ her ear. She never wants tο gо bacκ!

    LοL I know this is еntirely οff tορic but Ι had to tеll someone!


    Have a look at my pаge - wp Squeeze bar

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hеllo everybody, hеre every peгson is sharіng these kinds of
    experiеnce, therefore іt's fastidious to read this web site, and I used to go to see this website everyday.

    My site ... warrior forum pure leverage

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good day! This іs kind of off topic but I nеeԁ some help frοm
    an establіshеd blog. Is it veгу hard tо ѕеt uр your own blog?
    I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about ѕetting up my oωn but
    I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions? Appreciate it

    Feel free to visit my webpage: www.verzekeringwiki.net

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!