Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: Ditched by Robin Mellom

Ditched, A Love Story by Robin Mellom
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
First published: January 10th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 282
Summary:
Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her.
Ian, who always passed her the baseball bat handle first.
Ian, who knew exactly when she needed red licorice.
Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom.
And then ditched her.
Now, she must piece together stain-by-stain on her thrift store dress—exactly how she ended up dateless…with only the help of some opinionated ladies at the 7-Eleven. But to get to the whole story, Justina will have to face the boy who ditched her. Can losing out at her prom ultimately lead to finding true love?

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
This is a very cute and refreshing novel that I could finish reading very fast. It's chaotic, full of misunderstandings and a romance that will make your heart beat faster. As a story that is told in two different time periods - the present and (long) flashbacks to the past, it is easy to follow and no questions are left at the end. Lovers of light-hearted contemporary YA romance will definitely enjoy this. 

More detailed:
When seeing the cover of Ditched, A Love Story, I actually expected it to end up being more Middle Grade, but I loved finding out that it's definitely a Young Adult novel. Justina, who has a very unique name, which I love, is telling the story of her prom. A prom, which should have been the best night of her life but turned out to be a horrible disaster.

The narration is split in two different time periods: the present, in which Justina tells her story to a couple of quite awesome people, and the past, in which we can witness how her prom night turned into an exciting but disappointing event. Justina is a wonderful main character who is slightly paranoid, sarcastic but just wants to be loved.

All of the other character we meet in Ditched, A Love Story are just as amazing. Some of them are the cliché-high-school-students that need to be in almost every light-hearted YA story, others are perfect friends who I just wanted to hug all the time. Characters of the latter category are The Mikes, Serenity, Bliss, Hailey and, of course, Ian.

All in all, Ditched, A Love Story is a cute story about love and a girl's journey to finally find it. I would recommend it for everyone who is looking for a fun novel to distract them from heavier topics. It's a fast read and will definitely not fail to make you smile. Actually I'm sure that it will make you laugh out loud at certain points, as it did with me.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012
YA Contemporary Challenge 2012

Interesting links (Robin Mellom):

Website | Goodreads | Twitter
First chapter of Ditched

Have you read Ditched? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

6 comments:

  1. This sounds so good I've seen a lot of great reviews on it too I definitly plan to give it a go soon! Great review Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really cute and I've been in the mood for a good lighthearted read lately. I also really like narration that takes place in two different time periods so that's a plus as well. I'll definitely have to pick up a copy soon. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seemed like a cute read and I'm glad you confirmed it was. It seems like a fun book to read which is something I need after reading so many serious books lately. Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I... I think this book is calling me. One perfect night, and everything goes wrong? This seems just like me! LOL I'm lately enjoying more and more contemporary novels, and while I'd really like to see one with the college setting (I'll have to look that up!), highschool is highschool. And more importantly, prom! It's great that it made you laugh -- I need more of this kind of books.

    I'm glad you liked it, Carina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my eye on this for awhile now. It looks so cute! I'm going to pick it up for sure! Awesome review =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love laughing out loud books, so that's definitely promising! Now you've made me curious and I never even looked at it twice before. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!