Monday, February 13, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #16


Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

At first I'll finish Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald, which I'm really liking so far. It's a really cute and refreshing read and even though I'm not finished yet, I can definitely recommend it!
Seventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly onesided. The object of her obsession - ahem, affection - is her best friend, Garrett Delaney, who has been oblivious to Sadie's feelings ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust (not to mention his deep-blue eyes). For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett's constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock - all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder - until he calls to say he's fallen in love. With some other girl!

A heartbroken Sadie realizes that she's finally had enough. It's time for total Garrett detox! Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including the hunky chef, Josh), and a customized selfhelp guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, mortifying meltdowns, and a double shot of love.

Then I'll finally read Titan Magic by Jodi Lamm, which I got for review a while ago, but until now I didn't get around to read it. But I've heard good things about it and it sounds like a unique idea, so I'm really looking forward to start it.
Mute, heartless, and tormented by auditory hallucinations, Madeleine Lavoie never questions why her family has hidden her from the world. But the night her brother casts her out, she learns the mysterious voice she thought existed only in her mind is no delusion, and no matter how hard she tries, she can never disobey it.

Now Madeleine must find her own voice in a cacophony of powerful tyrants, monsters, and gods. If she fails, she will forfeit her life and the lives of everyone who loves her. But if she succeeds, she may finally gain the ability to love someone in return.

And the last book I'm hoping to read this week is Ties to the Blood Moon by Robin P. Waldrop. I'm part of the blog tour for this book with two stops on Feb 17th and Feb 20th and I can't wait to read this. It sounds really intriguing!
Genevieve is a teenage girl who moves in with her aunt in Alaska after the death of her mother. Soon after her arrival she learns the things she was raised to believe only existed in fairytales are in fact a big part of her history. When it gets to be too much she seeks refuge in the arms of her new boyfriend, William, only to find out he's not who she thought he was either.


What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?

8 comments:

  1. Titan Magic has one of the most amazing covers! I hosted a giveaway for Judi a short while ago :) Sadly I haven't got the time to read the book now but I'm very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it, Carina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious to see what you think of Titan Magic! I found it was strange but I still liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nice! I wanted to read Getting Over Garrett Delaney for my Contemporary YA CHallenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getter Over Garrett Delaney sounds so good! I can't wait to hear what you think of it. :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not heard of these books before but they do sound good. Hope you enjoy your week of reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Titan Magic. It sounds so good! Can't wait to pick it up myself. So curious to hear your thoughts on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting Over Garrett Delaney sounds like a good read. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting Over... sounds totally awesome! Cant wait to read your review my dear!! =D
    have a lovely week!


    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!