Friday, February 3, 2012

Chick Lit Review: I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella


While I mostly read Young Adult fiction, I love to read a good Chick Lit novel from time to time. I started Chick Lit Time to feature those books on my blog.



I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: The Dial Press (Random House)
Expected Publication: February 14th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 448
Goodreads Summary:
I've lost it. The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate Poppy. Stay positive!!

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry the ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her 'happy ever after' begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring but in the panic that followed, she has now lost her phone. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton doesn't agree. He wants his phone back and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life.

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other's lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents... she soon realises that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Since I fell in love with Sophie's books about eight years ago and always look forward to her new releases, my expectations for I've Got Your Number were pretty high. But again Sophie Kinsella managed to create a chaotic but very loveable main character, a romantic and cute plot and scenes that made me laugh out loud and not caring about strangers witnessing it. If you enjoy Chick Lit novels, go ahead and pick up books by Sophie Kinsella!

More detailed:
If you haven't read any of Sophie Kinsella's books yet, you're definitely missing out on something great. When I heard about I've Got Your Number, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy of this and devour it as soon as possible. And despite my high expectations, I wasn't disappointed and only realized how much I've missed Sophie's writing and wonderful stories.

Her characters are always a little bit chaotic in a very charming way. Poppy is no exception. After having managed to lose her engagement ring - a family heirloom - her journey begins. I love how Sophie Kinsella always manages to make me feel like I know a character after a few pages already. Poppy's voice and way of narration are just as addicting as I hoped them to be.

Of course the love story is very cute. It might be a little bit predictible at certain times, but that's why I love reading these light-hearted Chick Lit novels from time to time - just to distract myself with amusing problems of adorable main characters. This love story definitely made me feel good while reading and I had to laugh out loud and swoon more than just once - even during a coffee break at university.

I could continue telling you about how much I loved this novel, but if you think you might like it, just pick it up and let the book show you how awesome it is. I'm already crossing my fingers for more books by Sophie Kinsella, hoping I won't have to wait too long. I've Got Your Number is a wonderful stand-alone novel that I definitely want to recommend for everyone who needs a light-hearted distraction.

More about Sophie Kinsella:

Homepage | Goodreads
My review for her Shopaholic series
Writing as Madeleine Wickham

Have you read I've Got Your Number? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. I want to read this! Sounds so fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love Sophie Kinsella and yes her characters are always fabulous I have to get my hands on this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even heard of this author! She's on my list now; I've Got Your Number sounds SO cute! I love me some chick lit once in a while. :) Great review (and thanks for introducing me to Sophie Kinsella!).
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sophie's books, thanks for this! Will look out for it (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to read a good chick lit book from time to time. Haven't read one by Sophie Kinsella yet, although I know that she's very popular. I should choose one soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I so wanna read it! I think it sounds super good and even though I've only read one of her books, I truly enjoyed it. I love her writing style and so I've already put this on my to-read pile. ;) Great review! So glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything buy this author but I've heard great things about this book!!!Will definitely be picking up soon!!! The characters seem really interesting!!! Awesome review :)

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!