Saturday, January 21, 2012

Short Story Review: My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #0.5
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
First published: July 1st, 2009
Source: Bought
Format: eBook (Kindle)
Pages: 87
Goodreads Summary:
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
When I decided to join the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge to finally start this series, I thought it would be a good idea to read the novellas and novels in the right order and start with My Soul to Lose. I definitely didn't regret this decision, because this little novella was a perfect introduction into the series.

While we don't get to know many characters, reading this was a good way to get to know the main character Kaylee and witness how she struggles with her "panic attacks" which elicit a terrible urge to scream. I felt very sorry for her while reading My Soul to Lose which made me hope that her life would be a little bit easier in the first novel of the series My Soul to Take

After a very bad "panic attack" she wakes up in the psychiatric unit of a hospital. While she worries about her own sanity, she's even more scared that people will keep her locked up. Only Lydia, a girl she meets there, might know more about what is happening to Kaylee. Lydia is definitely a very intriguing character and I'd love to see her again in future instalments of this series.

All in all, My Soul to Lose is a great introduction into the Soul Screamers series. I immediately connected with Kaylee and wanted to know how her story continues. While I don't think it's necessary to read it, I'd definitely recommend it - especially if you're new to the series like I am.

Challenge(s):
Soul Screamers Reading Challenge

Books in this series:

My Soul To Lose (#0.5)
My Soul To Take (#1)
My Soul To Save (#2)
My Soul to Keep (#3)
Reaper (#3.5)
My Soul to Steal (#4)
If I Die (#5)
Never To Sleep (#5.5)
Before I Wake (#6, June 2012)

Have you read My Soul to Lose? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

3 comments:

  1. I read this too! I agree, it's the perfect introduction to the series. Not so plot-heavy that it's required to read this before the first book, but enough to grab onto Kaylee's character and become interested in her situation. I admit -- after reading this, I wanted to go out and buy the rest of the series! (I controlled myself, though.)

    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, this just sounds SO good. I loved Rachel Vincent's Shifters as well so that makes me even more curious. I need to get my hands on this one! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! I still have to read this series. Book 1 has been on my shelf for like... 8-9 months O_O *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!