Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Publisher: HarperCollins
First published: January 3rd, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 400
Goodreads Summary:
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
This is a very addictive story with a beautiful and very realistic love story, interesting characters and a world which is both scary and intriguing. Veronica Rossi has created a wonderful novel and I need to find out how her characters' journey will continue. 

More detailed:
Under the Never Sky starts out quite slow and makes it a little bit hard to connect to the characters or the plot. I have talked to other bloggers and I'm not the only one who felt like this. But after some time, the pace picks up and we get to know the characters and the world they're living in a lot better, which in return makes the story a lot more interesting.

At the beginning, the world of Under the Never Sky is slightly confusing. Aria lives in Reverie, an enclosed city which is supposed to protect its inhabitants from the dangerous outside, The Death Shop. To make their life more comfortable they can visit virtual places, the Realms, which they can access with devices called Smarteyes. It took a while for me to understand the basics of this world, but once I did, I loved the idea.

The story is told from two points of view: from Aria's and from Perry's. I love books who are told from different points of view, because it makes it possible to understand the characters a lot better. Both of them are very relatable characters with easy voices to follow. Their narrations make it lovely to witness this story and I can't wait to read more about them.

I loved the development of their relationship. At the beginning, prejudices make Aria and Perry hate each other and turn their journey into a very difficult one. But when they get to know each other better, they grow closer. It's a very realistic love story. You can witness how their feelings towards each other change over time and when they finally acknowledge them, it put a huge smile on my face.

The ending of Under the Never Sky is very beautiful, but it also made me want to have the second book immediately. I'm happy that I continued reading despite the somewhat slow beginning, because I definitely fell in love with Veronica Rossi's writing, her characters and the plot of this story. I need the second book of this series immediately and already ordered a finished copy of this for my shelf.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012 

Find Veronica Rossi online:

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Have you read Under the Never Sky? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

11 comments:

  1. I'm very excited to read this one. I've read the first couple chapters and really enjoyed it so I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and read the whole thing. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eagerly anticipating this book. Thanks for a lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one waiting to read via NetGalley, I admit I've been in a reading slump lately, but I can't wait to read it shortly!! I'm glad that you enjoyed it and if I find the start as slow as you did I'll solider on until it picks up the pace!

    Great Review!
    -Kate
    Nomalicious Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, I can't wait for this book! :D Hopes it arrives in my mail soon. It seems so amazing :) And I am very excited about the love (A) Hih. <3 I also really like two different POVs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that the book picks up after the slow beginning! I really love books that are told from different POV's as well. :) I can't wait to get started on this book, it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I also really enjoyed multiple POVs in books. I thought this was a fun read but I had a hard time with the confusing terminologies.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, seriously, I'm dying to read this and decide for myself what I think of it. I have heard mixed opinions about it, but it still intrigues me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this a while but and really enjoyed it. But I agree with you that it wasn't perfect. Nice review! :)

    Thanks for the comment on my blog about The Deepest Cut. I am really getting into the book now so I can't wait to finish it. :)

    Sam @ Realm of Ficton

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been waiting for some full on reviews of this one. I want to pick it up, but I'm super picky with my book dollars and shelf space so I wanted to read some trusted bloggers thoughts first. It's good to know that it starts out slow - so I don't give up. Thanks for the heads up!
    Megan @ Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really eagerly awaiting this
    tnx 4 sharing you're thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to hear you liked it!!! I've heard both some negative and poitive things about it so I wasn't too sure but the multiple POV's and beautiful ending definitely makes me want to pick it up! However I'm not a big fan of slow books...lol I think I'll pick it up considering you enjoyed it and the cover is gorgeous :) Great review!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!