Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review: My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
First published: July 29th, 2009
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 279
Goodreads Summary:
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Why didn't I start reading this series earlier? It's refreshing, well written and addicting. I was almost incapable of putting this book down and a few days after having finished it, I'm still craving to find out how this story continues. While this is still more like an introduction to this series, I already fell in love with it and can't wait to read more of Rachel Vincent's books.

More detailed:
My Soul to Take has been sitting on my shelf for a few months before I decided to pick it up for the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge and I couldn't be happier that I finally started reading it. It was everything I expected, and more. I fell in love with its characters, the idea of bean sidhes and Rachel Vincent's very addictive style of writing.

I already got to know Kaylee a little bit while reading the prequel novella My Soul to Lose and already knew how horrible her urge to scream can be. But in My Soul to Take I got to know her even better and I really liked her voice as a narrator. She's also a very relatable character, who makes understandable decisions and is very likeable.

But I did not only like her, but developed quite a fondness for Nash, Tod and Kaylee's best friend Emma, too. I'm especially looking forward to find out how Nash and Kaylee's relationship will develop and I can't wait to find out more about Tod. I also love that Tod's name is the German word for "death", which is, considering what he is, very fitting.

All in all, I really loved My Soul to Take and since I can't wait to continue this series, I already ordered a copy of the second book of this series before even writing this review. This is a wonderful start for a series that I'm really looking forward to continue. If you're looking for a slightly different paranormal novel, you should definitely give this series a chance.

Challenge(s):
Soul Screamers Reading Challenge
 TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2012

Books in this series:

My Soul To Lose (#0.5, my review)
My Soul To Take (#1)
My Soul To Save (#2)
My Soul to Keep (#3)
Reaper (#3.5)
My Soul to Steal (#4)
If I Die (#5)
Never To Sleep (#5.5)
Before I Wake (#6, June 2012)

Have you read My Soul to Take? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

13 comments:

  1. I really like these books too, even though I've only read the first two. Really need to finish this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you enjoyed reading this book, Carina! ♥ I definitely plan to read it soon! Thank you so much for review! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if I might actually own a copy of this in e-book format. I believe I won a book with a similar title a couple of years back. I must check my computer ASAP after this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I can't believe this is sitting unread on my shelf! I love how you make the characters sound they seem to be very well developed and that's always a great plus! Great review Carina! I HAVE to get this read soon!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, great review :D I have the first three of these books, must read them soon ;) Bit worried though, with what people say of a love triangle later on. But then, if the story is great I might survive it :D I hope you'll enjoy the other books ;)
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually really looking forward to a love triangle. A while ago I didn't really like them, but sometimes (if I like the "participating" characters) a love triangle can make a story a lot more interesting. :)

      Delete
  6. I love this series! It's one of my favorites actually. Great review!1 Can't wait to see your reviews on the other books as you read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. :D You're making me even more excited to start this series. I need to get the first book, like, now. LOL. Great review, Carina! You're good at making me drool after books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this series. I'm glad you enjoyed it :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel Vincent is one of my favourite authors and I adore this series so, so much. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book! I've read the first two books in the series, but I still need to read book 3,4 & 5. :) I'm hoping to get to them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Glad you loved this book and YAY TEAM NASH! I <3 him! I have to say this series gets better and better for me with If I Die (Book 5) being my favourite! I can't wait to see what you think of the rest ~ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every day, you automatically get an item that allows you to access the device over the network or connected directly over USB, but then again, this is a hidden but powerful brake on their advancement.


    My web page camsex

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!